Birder 2 progress pics

Garry

Here are a few progress pics on my Birder 2. I just put the third coat of epoxy on the hull with two coats inside. I'm amazed how the 4 oz tape almost disappears. I've decided to leave it natural and let the flaws show. I don't want to spend any time fairing or extra time sanding to get a shiny paint job. We'll put 4-6 coats of Epifanes wood varnish which can be applied without sanding previous coats. So I will sand the epoxy coat to prep for the varnish and maybe once ot twice for the final coats.

large.jpg

Other pics are at http://www.pbase.com/sailrosita/kayak

If you select "original" size at the bottom of the window you can see a lot of detail.

Here are a few more pics.

Strapping the deck down to the curve of the bulkhead and glueing it with thickened epoxy.

medium.jpg

The cockpit with the fore and aft deck sections strapped in place. I still have to fit the side pieces and the cut the opening to size.

medium.jpg

The paddles are glued up with curved blades.

medium.jpg

There are more pics (and larger) at http://www.pbase.com/sailrosita/kayak

More progress today. I got the side decks and carlins fitted, glued and clamped up. Everything is about 3/4" oversize to be trimmed after the epoxy sets up. I'm going to try a laminate trimmer in the router to trim the outer edges flush with the topsides.

The fit at the top edge didn't come out great, theres a gap because I didn't get the angle right on the inwales. This will be filled and covered with a small rubrail though.

medium.jpg

I didn't want to use fasteners or create temporary nail holes. I used lines around the hull to hold the sides down to couterbalance the weight of the clamps.

medium.jpg

Coaming installed

medium.jpg

Bending coaming trim, I soaked it in water then dried it with a hot air gun, it helped ease the bend at the front

medium.jpg

Coaming trim and deck trim strips installed

medium.jpg

I decided the bow and stern looked fragile, so I routed out a relief and epoxied solid blocks in place to be trimmed to match the dec trim

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

I had the paddles laying under the boat and stepped on one breaking the blade. I cut the blade off and belt-sanded the shaft down to install a new blade

medium.jpg

Quick question on the deck, Garry: my plans have very little guidance on how the deck is attached.  (The Birder 1 plans (which I also have) have more--maybe I'm missing a page.)  The Birder 2 plans seem to say that you have a choice of either doing a rub rail at the deck edge, or of rounding the edge and taping it.  From that, it seems as if the tape is unnecessary in adding strength to the joint.  Since I am thinking of leaving the deck bright, I want to omit the tape, but also don't think I need a rubrail.  What do you think?

Jeff,

With the inwale providing sufficient glueing surface, I doubt you need the tape. I don't think the plans call for it. The rubrail is totally optional and doesn't really add much strength.

Thanks P. Doug and Steve. I doubt we'll be maknig too many trips with the yak. There is plenty of good water around here to explore. Steve, I thought you were coming down here.

Garry,

I just wanted to see if you remembered that.

We would like to go down there and will try to do so sometime in the near future. We'll keep you posted. What with gas prices (can't cartop the kayak on the Prius - have to use the pickup  >:(), and schedules, it's not going to be easy.

Steve