Core Sound 20 Hull #102

wkisting

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the info on the oars, Ray. I'll check into that. I'm half tempted just to design my own set, since I'm already so familiar with paddle design by way of kayaks/canoes. The length is the tricky part, but I suppose I could start with 10.5' and cut them down from there if that's too long. Oarlocks will determine the diameter.

What are you making your oars out of? Fir? Spruce? Or something fancier?

I ordered the Ducktrap oar plans today... glad to see they're a curved blade design, which is what I would like to build. If you get started soon on your oars, post some pics... I'd love to see them. I'll do the same if I start mine in the near future.

Here are oars that I just finished yesterday for Lapwing.  8' just fits in the tubes in bow compartment to aft end of centerboard trunk.  They are straight and more narrow than some that others have shown but will suit me better for easier rowing.  An oar is a lever and delivers max thrust to the boat when the blade develops max resistance to the water.  The lift of a shaped and curved blade represents more resistance in this case.  That all means more work on the rower and is great for the young and fit but not so much for the old and lazy.  So my blades are easier on each stroke and deliver less thrust.  I've never had oars before on my sailboats, preferring to ghost along when air is light.  Going to the Small Reach Regatta is the reason for these.  Since my very husky son will be with me, I guess I could have gone for the high performance jobs ;D

These are very simple oars glued up from one inch lumberyard spruce.  The middle laminate and blade is a full 3/4" and the outer laminates are trimmed to suit. It's easier to get out a relatively defect free oar this way than trying to find a good board of 2x lumber.

I'm including a photo of a heavily reefed Southern Skimmer starting out in high wind last week in Beaufort.  Doesn't look like so much in this very protected area but got very boisterous later on until the centerboard incident..

post-257-129497682969_thumb.jpg

post-257-129497682976_thumb.jpg