A diversion while plotting to build boats;<}}[OT]

Oyster

We really enjoyed being in the company of like misfits. ;D The winds were just right in the am, but got kinda stiff in the afternoon. We had about five hours on the water and then made our way back up the creek before the gale forces came and the tide began to scream out against the wind in that creek. It can be a bit hairy to nasty.

One more shot that I thought was cool that was taken of Popsicle I will share.

post-1390-12949767043_thumb.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Oyster,

Thanks for sharing.  I love the pictures.  I can't get tired of looking at Popsicle and her sisters look great too.

You keep reminding me what I'm missing just four hours away.

Do you know how those topsails are sheeted?  I see a line running from a lower topsail yard (sorry if the terminology is wrong) down to deck level, but is that yard tied to the sprit to control the sheeting angle or is that long line to the deck the actual topsail sheet?

That steam launch is ultra-cool too.  Even without the bow-chaser it would be.

Thanks again for the pictures.

Mike,

Nice shots of the show. It looks like there were some pretty cool boats there. I especially liked the steam launch with the small cannon on it.

I missed the Perdido Wooden Boat Festival this year as I was in DC. Drat - I hate that! >:(

We are hoping to get some more time on the water in the coming weeks.

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

From a sow's ear to a silk purse, or sorta. This was a 1958 hull. Its now a new age pleasure craft.

ribremoval.jpg

Simmonsrunningright.jpg

DSC03028.jpg

We had a bit of a challenge with the oversized engine. But after a bit of tweaking, optimum performance was achieved. Bow for some trimming and detailing and away it goes to catch some fish on the Cheseapeake Bay.

DSC02986.jpg

Looking great as always Mike..

And remember guys- this is a fellow who supposedly "retired" from boatbuilding a few years ago ;D ;D

LOL!!! Come on now, you of all people should know that these projects are labors of love, retiree community service projects so to speak as an alternative to chemical dependancy for my househusband duties which requires me to stay at home all day  gardening, laundry, dog sitting including sweeping the dog hair up and the dishes. ;)

You are retired, Charlie? ??? :D

There must be an interesting story here....maybe you could share it at the mess about? :)

AHHHHm \\\ retired in the boat business means that you pick your poison, not that you really pick less of it. ;)

• 2 months later...

We are still getting out and enjoying what is left of the wetlands, catching reddrum while mamma does her shelling thing, hard to beat at half the price, so to speak. These sights and areas are slowly dwindling with the pressure of folks from 'off' ;). As the pressure on waterfront property continues, these places and the breeding grounds are slowly being destroyed.

DSC03625.jpg

The summer bluefish and spanish mackeral are coming along for the freezer packs too!!!

DSC03599.jpg

Ah, Oyster, I need a vacation.  Beautiful place. :)  Last week was record heat and within just 3 days we are expecting a high about 63!  I have only had each boat out once this year....

Just spent the last 5 days on another major landscaping adventure.  It wall started with a simple job of limbing and chipping one tree.  The trees later, another removed, two beds completely moved and re-organized, another 25 plus plants and sprinkler system, I am taking a day off.  I have a load of wood chips scheduled for sometime later in the week.  All of this and I am on vacation??? ;)

• 1 month later...

What a weekend on the water. Welcome to the world of decisions on what to do when the elements are textbook. You find a nice deserted island with family and friends, four legged ones too and enjoy to the max.

DSC04094.jpg

DSC04100.jpg

DSC04127.jpg

Over the weekend too the Seafood Festival brought out all of the woodies from the traditional era for a parade too. I could only get shots of other boats on their way for lunch on the beach.

DSC04117.jpg

DSC04118.jpg

DSC04122.jpg

DSC04125.jpg

Of course I also found some time to bring home the dinner or dinners too.

DSC04132.jpg

Enjoy