Maybe Today? America's Cup

Paul J

Looks like they are going to try to race today, maybe. The weather forecast is not good. There is the possibility of gale force winds, so says the race committee. But the marine forecast for the area says more light airs with gale force winds tomorrow. So who knows.

Talking about the weather may end up being all we get to talk about as to the America's Cup. :roll:

Well they cancelled any attempt for today, monday there, light winds again.

And looks bad for tomorrow too, forecast for gale force winds. Here's the local forecast.

Forecast issued at 1102 Monday 24-Feb-2003 Valid to midday Tuesday: For the Manukau Harbour: Southerly 5 knots, becoming southeast 15 knots this evening, rising to 25 knots gusting 35 knots in the morning. Sea becoming rough. Cloudy, with fair visibility

Source NZ Herald.

I was glad when th eboats settled on a formula closer to the original, but I can't understand the shifting course and narrow wind speed tolerance this new set up uses. To my mind it's media-sailing, designed to maximise the sponsor's payback. I think we should go back to the very open rules of the original Cup formula and run in real-life weather.

I wonder whether the Swiss will change the rule to Lake -Garda-type boats? That'd be fun to watch.

Mike