ARRRGH, or That will leave a mark

Blacksmith

Tuesday, the first day of a new year. I was wanting to go fishing. In this part of the  world that means on the ice at this time of year. I was working on the fish house, drilling a hole. Not a big deal you say, and I would usually agree with you. But the bit was dull and I put a new, shiny, really sharp one in the drill. 11/16 spade bit with those little sharp cutter things on the out side of the spade. It went through the board in record time, and into the palm of the left hand. Not good.

A trip to the ER was in order, and I have been banned from the workshop for a few days, or weeks! What a drag.

So, just a note of warning. Sharp bits can hurt!

Have a GREAT new year!

Stephen

I can imagine the pain, though there is no memory of doing the same.  There are a couple of suspicious scars on my palms and fingers. ::)

It is a classic sort of accident, one which is shown in safety training films.  We all do it eventually, I think.

I hope you heal well. :)

LOL- Laura calls me a kinsman to a Hobbit. I HATE to wear shoes and am often working in the shop barefooted. Particularly when having to climb in and out of a boat.

Charlie, that must be a Texan thing.  I do the same here when the weather is warm enough, but more often I wear sandles.  I hate getting those metal splinters in my feet, etc.  When I entered the Navy at 18, I had not worn socks for several years....boots yes....it took some getting use to.  The calluses on the bottom of my feet were at least 1/4 inch thick and I walked on the blacktop in the summer all the time barefooted.  My Yankee wife thinks I am nuts, but my Texas kids are also running around in the snow barefooted....LOL. ;D

What I hate, though I haven't done it quite a few years, is when you're really bearing down on a screw to set it into a hole, holding the head with your fingers and the driver bit spins out and winds itself into your flesh, before you can let go of the trigger on the drill. Of course you have to put the drill in reverse to unwind the damn thing so it'll free you from the tool.

Ouch, that even sounds painfull from a far!!!!!! But you guys talking about going barefooted in the shop leads me to believe that you guys don't do a lot of work in the shop. If you did, you would have dried glue globs on the floor along with some stray fasteners that can ruin your day when you step on the spots with bare feet. The best compromise is the Crocs nowadays and will not allow you to track anything in the house either, slipping them off at the door. They are also cheaper and more disposable than quality snickers for those of us that actually do WORK in WORKSHOPS and have evidence on the floors to do great damage to your tootsies!!!! ;D Your feet are the most abused and neglected items on your body next to your liver.  ;) You must take care of your feet. Like a tree trunk, cut the roots off of them and the prettiest limbs and leaves are rendered useless. Sorry Blacksmith for the highjack by these rednecks. ;D ;D At least they are telling us about their wives going barefooted.......... ;)

aV4AuWji.jpg

;D Uh, yeah. Been there.

Or wearing rubber gloves to keep the epoxy off and winding about 6 inches of glove around the bit ( or screw). Thereby cutting off circulation to the finger ;D Never mind having to back the screw back out to get the glove outta the hole!!

Now Mike- you KNOW I do LOTS of work in the shop- besides- how else do you find those lost screws? They are either bronze or stainless so a magnet won't find them- gotta use your feet :o

LOL- Laura calls me a kinsman to a Hobbit. I HATE to wear shoes and am often working in the shop barefooted. Particularly when having to climb in and out of a boat.

Charlie,

I'd love to have you come visit but, for my protection, you'd have to wear shoes in my shop. 

To find dropped screws in my shop, I turn out the lights and get down on the floor with a flashlight casting shadows across the floor.  I have to bring a box along to pick all the other crap too.  Sometimes I actually find the part I'm looking for.

lol- Tom- I DO wear them when we go visiting. Laura insists ;D She also makes me wear a good cap too.

I once knocked a 5/8ths forstner bit off my bench. Looked and looked for it, could NOT find the thing. Finally decided it had gone into the trash can and gotten dumped unseen.

Three years later, when I moved from that shop we moved the 4 x 6 layout/scarfing bench. That bench was 5 feet from the bench. In the dead exact center of where that table had sat was that forstner bit!!! Probably 8 feet away from where it dropped.

So I totally understand "Sometimes I actually find the part I'm looking for." ;) 

In school hands and knees was known as The "gunsmith position". Man! those little springs could fly. Finding one was a big relief if it wasn't somebody else's lost weeks before.

Howdy Blacksmith. Hear you might get a little snow tonight. We get freezing rain and pay for this little January thaw. Heal quick.

When I drilled my Teal for gudgeons that were drilled and tapped I held a finger on the other side. Figured I had to hit that spot.

Bob

I had the same thing happen to me when I closed the shop out in Daytona. I'd been looking for my small step drill (an invaluable tool) and searched high and low, but eventually had to get another one. When I moved the benches, there she was, about 8' from where it dropped out of the drill, under a bench I swore I looked under carefully.

Ahh, yes. It was barefoot everywhere for me when I was younger. The only place I didn't go barefoot was where the sandspurs were. Now that I have gotten older and spent so much time working for "the Man," my feet have lost those calluses and I cannot go about barefoot. 

Sandals, boatshoes are now the standard footwear for me both in and out of the shop. Even when out on the big boat, I keep shoes on to protect my feet.

As most of us can agree, it's tough getting old. :o

Steve