Sample wood..Teak?

kmrmike

It could also be Sapele, which looks alot like Mahogany same reddish sawdust. I got ahold of some thinking it to be mahogany and it is a very suitable wood for boat building as it has the same properties as mahogany.(I have no idea what I am talking about that is how it was explained to me).

Brian.

Looks like Phillipine Mahogany to me, which is not a true mahogany but a cypress.  PH  tends to splinter easier; its almost "fibrous" in nature.

MAHOGANY, HONDURAS

(Mexican mahogany)

34 lbs. per cubic foot, 2.83 lbs. per board foot

True mahogany grows in the West Indies, Central America, the northern part of South America, and some in the southern part of Florida. The types frequently used in boating are called Honduras and Mexican mahoganies. Color varies from deep red to reddish brown in the heartwood, with sapwood a pale yellow. The heartwood is decay resistant, fairly strong, and seasons well, with low and uniform shrinkage. Hardness, weight, and strength can vary depending on where the lumber is from, with the Central American variety being more variable.

MAHOGANY, PHILIPPINE

(tangile, red luan, white luan, tiaong)

39 lbs. per cubic foot, 3.25 lbs. per board foot

The many varieties of so-called "Philippine mahogany" are really types of tropical cedar common to the Philippines even though they resemble true mahogany. The dark red varieties are harder, heavier, more decay resistant, and stronger than the light red varieties that are usually limited to nonstructural joinerywork. The trees yield large, clear boards, although interlocked grain can make seasoning some times difficult.

http://www.glen-l.com

There are over 3 dozen different sub species of mahogany and I wouldn't want to speculate which it may be. The variety of colors and density is pretty wide too, so if you must know for sure, then the AG department of the local U of whatever will do a fine job, possibly not charging you a thing, especially if you bring doughnuts and coffee the morning you show up and provide something new and interesting for them to work on.

I looked briefly at the link Frank posted and I believe I can send a sample through this link which I intend to do. Thank you Frank and Par for the info. BTW, the sample wood was installed as roll shutters for hurricane protection and is supposed to be Teak....Thanks again...Mike

It certainly doesn't look like teak to me.  The teak I have used is almost oily to the touch, and when you cut it, you don't get a ton of dry sawdust like is shown on your table saw. 

Teak is also pretty expensive, probably double the price of mahogany here in California.

Teak is also pretty expensive' date=' probably double the price of mahogany here in California.[/quote']

Whole sale price for Teak is about triple that of African Mahogany in the Northeast.  But for exterior brightwork Teak is hard to match in standing up to the elements then still looking good.

Many are switching to Ipe. Very closely resembles teak, is an extremely dense wood ( will NOT float) and seems to hold up to weather quite well. The best part is, locally, I get Ipe for a lower price than African.

Work it with carbide tools- it'll burn HSS cutting edges quite fast.

Picture of some Ipe offcuts-

aVGC3Mi.jpg

• 2 months later...

Today I received the results of the wood samples I sent to USDA Forest Service Lab.  The Sample wood is called Swietenia, a type of Mahogany native to Florida, Cuba, Jamaica, and Hispaniola. Does anyone know whether or not this type of wood is good for boat building or trim??...Mike

http://www2.fpl.fs.fed.us/TechSheets/Chudnoff/TropAmerican/html_files/swiete1new.html

I don't think I would want to plank with it (little resistance attack by marine borers), but for trim it would seem ok.  The description says it is used for carving and turning, so it must work well with tools.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got 2-3 hundred board feet of rough sawn burmese teak shorts, mostly 1x2, 2x2, 2x3 in 4 to 5 foot lengths if anyone is interested.  I'm located in southwest lower Michigan.  I originally bought it for a project on a boat I owned at the time, but ended up selling the boat before I started the project.  It's been using up a 4' x 4' x 5' corner of my shop ever since and I've decided I'd rather have the room.

Fred