Core Sound 20: Hull #103

Alan Stewart

Hey everyone, 

Alan Stewart here with some pictures and the latest on my Dad and I's CS-20 #103. I have been lurking on the site for a while and figured I would put this up there now that we have something to show. This weekend we opened the hull.

We are building the boat as a racing cruiser with weekend excursions in mind but without sparing any expense on go fast options. My Dad and I decided to build the boat and race together in the Watertribe Everglades Challenge in March 08. Much of the credit to our boat decision goes to Graham for taking us out on his EC-22 after the EC in 07. Last year I raced with 3 college buddies in a pair of homebuilt Wa'apa trimarans and I cannot wait for next year and for this boat to get on the water. 

There are many more pictures and a detailed account of our progress on my blog site at http://www.sailnaway.blogspot.com Check it out

Our "T" beam cradle:

aV1fD9m0.jpg

Laying the hull on the centerline:

PqHrudi.jpg

Opening (diagonal side supports allowed us to do this with no other help):

aV1fDZK0.jpg

Pulling in the stern:

aV1fEsFJ.jpg

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ken,

Great to see you and your boat yesterday out on the lake. Just makes me want to get my Dad and I's boat on the water even sooner. I'll let you know if I have a free weekend for a sail in the near future.

We are gluing the inwales in today as well as beginning to glass the seams. I'll post some more pics on my blog on monday.

Hi Alan,

It was good to meet you too.

If you get the chance to sail you're welcome to bring your dad too.  Although you really should be spending all that free time building  :)

Let me know if you need to borrow any clamps or if you'd like help turning the boat or anything.  Anything but sanding and painting...

I talked to a friend of mine tonight and it looks like I have a teammate for EC09.  It's not a definite decision but it's something to work for.

I'll look for the pictures.

Hi SOS

I had word that you were going to be in a CS 20 for the EC this year.  Michael Collins (GreyBeard) and I will be there in the CS20 taking form in my shop.  I'm a little farther along, but I'm working alone in free moments.  I'll try to post a picture soon.  We need a whole fleet of CS boats to chase Graham down the coast next March.

What are your thoughts about propulsion if the wind is not blowing and going in to Placida?  I'm still wrestling between oars and a yuloh.

Doug (Ridgerunner)

Doug,

Great to see pictures of another CS20 in progress. She looks awesome. We have not had much discussion about no wind propulsion other than what I have read on this and other forums and what I have seen done last year but...

A yuloh crutch (it seems) is always easy to add and there is a small learning curve from what I have read. Since I can only imagine that we will not have much spare time to practice our yuloh technique, I think we will therefore probably opt for rowing stations much like the EC22. They just seem like they belong. 

Here is a shot from last night of our progress from this weekend. We got both inwales glued on and fillet/glassed the center seam. The hull took on the desired shape so well that we took out the forward bulkhead for glassing the seam to make things easier (easy on a relative scale). We have plans for that bulkhead anyway which will be revealed in the near future. Lets just say, "it was in the way". 

-By the way, how did you (and anyone else) go about glassing the center seam where you can't reach it?? This was our solution. 

aV2j8tnr.jpg

Doug,

I notice that you have left a generous length of the mast tube above the deck.  On my "Lively" I cut it flush.  I noticed recently when the WCTSS sailed to Cayo Costa that Sea Pearls have the mast tube sticking up but cut off at and angle that looks to be about 60 degrees.  The point I am trying to make here is that I wish I had done this.  Because it is somewhat difficult to lift the mast in place vertically and drop it in the hole. 

Jeff had a solution which I will probably do. It is a mast helper that swivels.

I would recommend keeping some portion of your tube to use as a sort of backstop you can use in raising the mast.

I hope to see you at the EC.

Dale

Hey Alan,

I was so busy looking at the clamps on the inwhales that I totally missed the trapeze artist! :o

On my CS17 I was barely able to lean into the boat and finish the center seam.  I remember wondering how much harder it would be to do on a CS20.  As an old rock climber from way back - I love your solution  ;D

Dale

I plan to put a 3/8" plywood "donut" around the mast tube on top of the deck to give some height above the deck and to give more strength to the mast step setup.  Then I plan to saw off the mast tube flush.  I have experience setting up sea pearl masts (much heavier)  At the bass boat launches around here, I would do it on the trailer and at Placida I will have Michael's help.  I looked at the helper in the CD that comes with the plans, and I can still add it afterwards.

I hope to see you at Fort DeSoto with Lively in March.  There are some heavy hitters coming to sail in Clas IV, so the rest of us can have a one design class (the EC 22 doesn't count) if we get enough.

Doug 

Ray,

I usually put the mast up and down like you do when I am in the parking lot, no problem.  But what I am worried about is taking it up and down in 15 knots at Placida by myself with the boat bouncing around.  I have now been to Placida so I know there are some protected spots where hopefully I can get out of the wind but I still need a better way.

I followed Tom's suggestion, so I have created a mast hole through hull drain so don't have to worry about water in the mast.

Doug,

I don't think there was a helper on my plans CD it is so old.  It may have been the one Jeff created.

I look forward to meeting you at the EC start, even if I decide not to go due to singlehanded worries.  I am trying to talk my nephew into going but am not having much luck so far.  I think he would rather be in luxury on his 31 ft Farrior tri in the Bahamas.

Dale

Since the picture in the previous post, I replaced my main mast step helper with a taller one.

Jeff made one that is a bit less ugly for his CS 20.

I have a helper for the mizzen as well. Stepping the masts is much easier with the helpers.

I look forward to watching your progress in the EG challange.

Doug,

Thanks for posting the photos.  I am going to do something like this.

Jeff,

I searched and found your post.  Did you ever post final photos of it on the boat?  I did not find them. If possible would you re-post them or help me find them.

How did you handle the sprit snotter downhaul?  Mine is definitely in the way.

Dale

Thanks Terry for the photos.

I have converted to tracks and have two reefing points. 

Do I understand you to say you have a downhaul for each reefing point? 

I thought the same down haul was used for the reef points but the sprit was moved to the new position on the aft of the sail.  This makes the sprit stick way out toward the bow.

Dale