Baltic birch?

Guest ib1boatnut

Guest ib1boatnut

Just wondering if this birch ply would be good for my cabinway parts. did a quick search I see some have used it inside just wondering if it would stand up outside, (stain varnish finish) To late for me now but would this have been a good ply to build with? Also I am going today to price/find fir or other hardwoods

any thing I should avoid like maple or red oak. This weekender I really cheaped out on but if I enjoy sailing I would like to build a bit bigger boat that will last.

That being said I was going to go with pine/spruce but not sure if it would be strong enough for mast ect. Thanks for any insight.

I'm no expert, but I know that baltic birch is the preferred ply for concrete forms involving curves.  It's very strong pliable and stands up to those wet conditions without treatment so I imagine it wouldn't be to bad for building boats.  I looked at some 1/4" last month and it was sanded on both faces and was 7 ply :o

Built my Teal of Baltic. Was the best stuff I could find locally. Was $17 for 1/4" last winter. Up to $24 now. Like it, BUT stains quickly if it gets wet. Sailed to the Lake Pepin Messabout with one coat of epoxy on the interior. Showed dark stains in a couple days. Anything bright needs two coats of epoxy and varnish. Other than that glitch it worked very well. Stood up to some hard use this summer and a major dunking at the end of the season. I'll use it again.

Pqy0_bS.jpg

Dryin' out and gettin' chilly on Lake Pepin,

Bob