What happend to Stevenson Projects? Where can i get weekender plans?

Guest laclac01

You've already built on a small scale (and modeling's HARD).

A larger boat takes more money and time but as far as I can tell that's it.  If there is one boat that fits your needs and it is within your grasp from a financial and time and workspace standpoint go for it.

I built my most recent boat based first of all on what would fit my needs and secondly on the size of my work area.  I built a CS17 instead of a CS20 because I figured either boat would work well for me but I was in an 18x18 workspace.  It turns out that the CS17 is perfect for me but I bet the CS20 would have been just as perfect  :)

Don't compromise on the boat just because you haven't built something full-sized.  It can certainly be scary when you are getting ready to write a check for the materials but if you're looking for a boat project it's the process that matters.

If you just want to go sailing the very best thing you can do  is go look at used sailboats - You'll find a good deal.  If you're going to build a boat you should build the boat that's going to be right for you when it's finished.  If one design will suit you better go for that one.  If you're not sure which design will suit you better go for the cheaper or the easier or more fun build (you pick which) and you'll end up with a homebuilt sailboat that will be lots of fun and you'll know for sure what you want from the next build (just don't try to fool yourself into thinking you're only going to build one boat)  :)

I don't know if your friend is a builder or not but definitely don't let somebody who hasn't built a boat tell you that it's too much for you.  Boatbuilding is persistence, not magic (Sorry if that sounds soapboxish).  Pick a design that gets you fired up when you look at it and go to town.  There will be lots of highs and lots of lows and then you'll take your friend sailing ;D

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I definitely agree with Ken, build the boat that is right for you. I too started out building wooden boat and ship models, I was looking for some ideas on scratch built models when I found stevensons website found the vacationer and then began the dreaming, so I bought the plans and I am in the middle of my build now. Sailing experience I have but before I began this project I had never even held a skill saw before, never cut wood except to burn in the fireplace. Folks around here and on the byyb and the B&B sites are really great folks and all are willing to share there knowledge and will help to guide you, And anything you run into has probubly been done before. so pick what is right for you and it will all be good. Good luck with whatever boat you choose.

Brian.

I have another friend who used to build power boats for a living back in the 60's until the factory burned down when the fiberglass dust ignited during his shift. (I was in the grade school around the block when it happened and lived across the tracks from it)

He said it would be an experience for me to try it. But, research and choose wisely.

I didn't know about the Sharpie until I came here. I think I did see them in my research but I was thinking single mast at the time.

Any body here ever hear about the 7'10" Dinghy at Bateau.com

Specs

http://www.bateau.com/studyplans/D5_study.htm?prod=D5

site picture of Dinghy

D5_150.jpg

More Pics by builders

http://www.bateau2.com/gallery/D5/index.htm

Boats are fun, so almost anything you build will be fun. At least at first.  I think the advice given to you is sound, in that you can either build for that first 6 months when nearly anything is fun, or build for the long term.  One good thing about a pram or dinghy is that you can always sell it to someone with a larger boat (if you live near a place where there are bigger boats!) 

An example:  When I was in my early teens, I helped my father build small working prams on Galveston Bay, then worked on boats for a few years until leaving for the Navy.  In my late 40s I felt the urge to build boats again.  My first boat was a Bateau PK7 pram, then a Bolger "Nymph" pram, both which are 8 foot stitch & glue types of construction.  Then my two youngest sons and I built a Stevenson Amphora with some modifications.  Then I worked with a master boat builder to build a lapstrake lobster boat, 19 feet.  I am currently building a B&B Spindrift 12 sloop.  I preferred to start with small boats to learn on but plan to build a B&B Princess Sharpie 26 starting sometime next year.  Now in my mid 50s I have really learned enough to build just about anything below 30 or 40 feet.

Boats are fun, so almost anything you build will be fun. At least at first.  I think the advice given to you is sound, in that you can either build for that first 6 months when nearly anything is fun, or build for the long term.  One good thing about a pram or dinghy is that you can always sell it to someone with a larger boat (if you live near a place where there are bigger boats!) 

Found a local Marine Plywood dealer in Chichester,NH.

http://www.goosebaylumber.com/pricelist.pdf

The two sheets of marine grade plywood for the dinghy would be $130. Standard ply would rund $30-40.

I now have two people interested in building a dinghy. Looks like building a jig would be handy. All of us agree to start the 1st after the holiday. In the mean time I'll make some stencils and a jig going by the free plans (D4).

If I still had access to a plotter I would have printed them up full scale.

The free plans have very little instructions.

I might order the plans that way I would have everything. It would might save some time on the stencils. I'll have to talk to the others.

Its only $40 plus shipping.

The purchased plans which is a D5 includes:

Plans Packing List:

Detailed drawings , large scale with all dimensions required to cut the sides, bottom and the bulkheads from flat plywood sheets: no lofting, no templates required. (How big is large scale?)

Full size patterns for the transom and frames. (Need a plotter for free plan :()

Sail plans with all dimensions for spars and sails, marconi and sprit sail

Building notes including a detailed description of the assembly sequence and building tips

A Bill Of Materials (missing in free plan but online)

Help files reference list and more. (missing in free plan)

Looks like more info then the free plans.

Here are a few of Svensons Free Plans.

The Gypsy and the Starlite are pretty big with more head room in the cabin.

16 ft Blue Moon ( looks like a Pocket Yacht)

http://www.svensons.com/boat/?f=SailBoats/BlueMoon

24 ft Gypsy

http://www.svensons.com/boat/?p=SailBoats/Gypsy

16 ft Petrel (Day sailer)

http://www.svensons.com/boat/?p=SailBoats/Petrel

27 1/2 ft Starlite

http://www.svensons.com/boat/?p=SailBoats/StarLite

Just got the D5 Dinghy plans this morning Bateau.

WOW!!  Great Plans and assembly information. Major time saver. Worth the fifty bucks.

I found some flexable semi clear acrilic panels to use as template material.

I have a vacation week at end of the month to get my backside in gear. Unless I go Ice Fishing. ;)

I built a Bateau PK7....Prameke they call it now.  The plans were ok.  They use to give away the D4 plan set.

They still give away the D4 plans. It lacked angles, curve, and lots of assembly instructions.

Decided to order the D5 to save time and was very satisfied with the drawing package. I wouldn't hesitate to order more plans from them sometime in the future. Right now its one project at a time.

Looks like three are definately will be built( 2 with marine plywood, 1 with regular plywood), and a posible fourth. If this keeps going we will have to form our own local club. ;)

WOW!! :o

Just looked at the pictures of the Prameke 7'-8". Its a beauty. Its wider than the D5 and more stabile in the water.

http://www.bateau.com/proddetail.php?prod=PK78

I love the wood finish on this one. Its awsome looking.

PK78_350.jpg

The Prameke is a very stable boat and easy to row.  I sold mine last summer to be used on a large pond.  It was not as pretty as the one in the picture and was strictly a rowing/motoring version.  I used her as a dinghy and work boat for about 5 or 6 years.

Out of all the pictures in the gallery for the PK78 the above picture was the only one with the full trimming. All the others were plain and simple, not works of art.

I like stained or clear finished wood as trimming on boats, it adds character to the boats.

I'm getting the size E drawing copied(patterns) so that I have an original plan.

Hope to make the stencils this weekend. I might get the 1/2 regular plywood to have the parts in the Size E drawing. Then I will make the jig using these parts for spacing the mounts. That will be during my vacation week this month. Looks like the plywood Dinghy will be the 1st to be built with some storage in the seat area.

This will be increase our future data for the more expensive Dinghys. Were even looking at less expensive material for the first Dinghy to cut cost. We will have to test the materials out first..

I'll take pictures of the parts and jig setup so I can post them in a separate topic.

Ideas are flying left and right here and my notes are growing. The gallery pictures at Bateau are awesome and extremely helpful.

I'm going to have to get power to the new shed(workshop). Heat would also be nice.. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I would have liked to get the newest DVD from Stevensons but they never responded to my emails this year and I decided to give it up and move on to something else. :-\

The Stevensons have a legacy of inspiring boat builders all over the world.  It is sad that they have decided to lay low, but I am also glad that they occasionally do respond by shipping plan sets.  Sometimes dreams and goals change and the time comes to move on to something new and not keep spending time on the old.  Mike did say one time (a couple of years ago?) that Peter was designing a new boat of some sort.  I wish them well and respect them always.  They have touched & inspired many people with their books, films, and boat plans.  A legacy to admire and envy. :)

Greg.