Quick, simple question

P Doug (WA)

I have painted the flotation compartments on my boat.  I now see I didn't put in a board on the transom that I need to support installing my rudder box.  Well epoxy stick to paint very well or do I need to take it down to bare wood where the board is suppose to be epoxied in?  It is an exterior latex paint. 

Conversely, I DO paint inside seat lockers and lazzerettes where things are apt to be stored. I ensure a very good coating of epoxy then paint- White paint in there is almost as good as turning on a light when you are trying to find something.

Of course I do not paint inside sealed compartments.

So there's the other side of the argument ;)

If it can be commonly opened to the air I tend to paint interiors of compartments, and like Charlie, I like white for the better to see things.  I like to do as Ray and Charlie, just epoxying the interiors of flotation chamber.  I also like to put those little, threaded access covers on those chambers for later inspection.

All great ideas, And will be incorporated in my boat, Thank all Y'all, I dont mean to Hijack the thread, But Greg I like the screw in access covers I would like to use a square one on my cockpit rear wall but have not found one as of yet. Do You have any idea where to find one? (I haven't really looked to hard yet either)

Again Thank all Y'all.

Brian

Brian,

I was referring to the round ones that are threaded.  Usually just a turn or two removes them.  The rectangular ones, as far as I know, are actually small hatches, with gasketed seals, etc.  I will check at my local supplier to see if there are square shaped ones.  Never looked for them before this.  I will let you know. :)

Greg.

Guest ib1boatnut

Can you coat hidden area's with resins other than epoxy and not use cloth with out worrying about checking? (I am using iso resin) Or does the checking occur do to both sun and air? For example under my back seat that is not inclosed but open to air I used cloth. Was that a over kill with painting as well?

I think I found my answer and the search button ;D