New Forum Software

Frank Hagan

Hi,

I have several pages of bookmarks to this forum, trying to organize my thoughts and building.  However, it looks like I can just convert the old bookmarks to the new format. The topc numbers seem to be similar.

old  - http://www.messing-about.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4334

new - http://www.messing-about.com/forums/index.php?topic=4334.0

1. change forum to forums,

2. change 'viewtopic' to 'index'

3. change 't=' to 'topic='

4. add the decimal and zero to the number.

The re-direct is in place now, so you should be able to click any of your old links and have it resolve to the new forums.  Let me know if any of your links no longer work!

New boat project?  Now there's a thought!

I will need to implement a new Gallery section, as the old gallery using the photopost software was tied to the old forum registration.  Current members of the old gallery will still be able to use it, but the new gallery will be tied to this new software.

Frank

I have not been able to see any of the pictures after the software upgrade. Normally I just browse the post, but today I logged in and there were the pictures.

Thanks ... I didn't realize I had picture viewing turned off for "visitors". 

Somewhere ... there's a switch somewhere ...

• 2 weeks later...

Frank,

I am having one heck of a time tryig to post some pictures.  Do I click on the insert image icon, or click on the add attachment button.  Either way, I'm not having any luck.  What's really frustrating is that I'm pretty handy with a computer!  So, what am I missing?

Please help.  I've got lots a ics to post!

First, click the "Additional Options ..." link below the text entry box to expand the additional options section.  You should then see the options below the text entry box, as shown in the photo I've attached.

Use the browse button to find the pic on disk and select it.  If you want to add another pic, click the "(more attachments)" link next to the browse button.

The picture won't show on "Preview", but will once you post the message.

post-2-12949765987_thumb.jpg

Frank,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to be asking, but I am having one heck of a time trying to post a picture.  I have tried adding a photo as an attachment and I get an error because the file is larger than 192Kb.  Just one of my photos is 791Kb and thats after I have dumbed it down to 600 x 800 pixels!  Am I doing something wrong.  I pretty conversant with PC's.  Not so much with digital photo editing.  Is there a way to reduce the file size to meet the limit, or am I missing something out completely?

I would greatly appreciate your help. I am running XP and Explorer  7.

Thanks

Frank,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to be asking, but I am having one heck of a time trying to post a picture.  I have tried adding a photo as an attachment and I get an error because the file is larger than 192Kb.  Just one of my photos is 791Kb and thats after I have dumbed it down to 600 x 800 pixels!  Am I doing something wrong.  I pretty conversant with PC's.  Not so much with digital photo editing.  Is there a way to reduce the file size to meet the limit, or am I missing something out completely?

I would greatly appreciate your help. I am running XP and Explorer  7.

Thanks

An easy to use, free program is perfect for this ... http://www.fookes.com/ezthumbs/index.php ... it can park itself in your right click menu so you can highlight an image, right click, and create a "thumbnail" that is 300x400 or 400x600 (once you set the size when you install it, it maintains it from session to session, so its very easy to use.)  It creates a smaller copy of the image with a "tn_" prefix on the filename, so you don't have to open the image, resize it, and try to remember to name with a new name.

Some Windows XP systems already have a "Make Thumbnail" option on the right click menu, and it can be configured for 300x400 image size. 

If you're using a high end image editing program, remember that the pixel size of the image should be from 300x400 to a maximum of 600x800, at no more than 100 DPI.  If you want an opensource, free program for image editing that is closer to Photoshop than it is to Windows Paint, get The Gimp at http://www.gimp.org/  The learning curve is pretty steep on this one, so for casual use, EZ Thumbs wins the prize.

Okay,

We're getting there.  I have the program and tried twice last night to post but now I'm getting a comment back stating " the upload folder is full" 

So what's that about?

I'm starting to think I'm cursed!

That sounds like my problem! 

I upped the filespace for pictures, so you should be able to upload.  (Might be time to think about that larger server ...)