Oar locks and thole pins and the like

Ken_Potts

I'm looking for oar locks for my soon-to-be launched Core Sound 17. The problem is that I have paddled many many miles but I've probably rowed less than a hundred yards so I'm really not sure what I should look for in oarlocks.

So who's got an opinion on what makes a good oarlock? Horns or rings? Thole pins? What works for you?

Thanks in advance.

BTW - While we're at it I haven't made the oars yet so what's a good material for that? I saw some good looking cypress today... (I plan to review Bob Smalser's oarmaking post after I post this note - Where has Mr. Smalser been lately?)

I also prefer rings. For the same reason Ray lists, but also the locks stay with the oars. Makes it a tad more difficult to stow sometimes, but when you pull out the oar, the lock is right there- you don't have to search for them ;)

All the ones I've bought recently have been bronze, and I've found the exact same problem that Graham did. I"ve not bought any from Chuck at Duckworks, but you might try his store.