Plans

T.McCaw

Hello Tom,

Quite a provocative post, but one I understand completely. Over the years I have owned monos and multis from dinghy size to ocean going cruising boats. I had a Farrier F31 folding trimaran for 4 years and raced and cruised it extensively. It was quite simply a fantastic boat- averaged 19 knots on an 8 mile reach once!

However, now, I am building a CS17. I think this, also, will be a fantastic boat... but in a different way. Gunkholing/quiet waters/ the bay on a good day/ incredibly easy trailing and set up/ fun with only a few hours- these are all great features as well. The smaller the boat the closer you are to the experience. It is a lot cheaper too.

While Ian Farrier's boats are very well set up for trailering, they do take a lot more effort to go sailing than a smaller, non folding, unstayed boat.

This suits me now...hopefully the F22 will suit you. Horses for courses.

Nanaimo would be a great base for sailing- especially an F22. I was there in 2004, but in summer. For those of us in warmer climes the winter would be a challenge. All year round sailing here :D

Peter HK

One more thing,

I live in Brisbane, Australia.

Graham comes from here also.

Ian Farrier, while actually a Kiwi moved to Brisbane, and designed and built his first folding tris here- I saw the prototype on one of its first sails sometime in the early 70s. He later moved to the US.

Small world :)

Peter HK

I feel your pain Tom. For about 25 years I've followed Ian's work and still have some plan sheets from the first 18' TrailerTri somewhere. Last year my oldest son had the thought that dad might build him an F22 so I got on Ian's mailing list for updates on it. Ultimately, I decided that this dog was to old for that much of a new trick and declined to take on such a big project. He then bought a used F24 to join his stable of boats including a Chris White 20 footer.

The F22 looks like a fine boat in the Farrier trimaran tradition. However, I suspect you could build a CS17 during coffee breaks while building the F22.

I do like speed in a sailboat but also find that I like a boat that heels a bit and am drawn more to monohulls. As was said, horses for courses and good luck to you.

T.McCaw, I say go for it if you have the time, money and building space.

Personally I love trimarans and Catamarans. Having raced and cruised both. But, a fine Mono it nice too and they excel in some areas like Tom has already mentioned.

The first tri I sailed was the Danish built Dragonfly. Man, was it a magical day zooming around Lake Erie. Then I went and worked for Corsair Marine selling the F-27's in the great lakes and east cost of US region. Ian did a wonderful job with his designs offering good trailing ability, performance and interior room for a Tri.

At one point I was going to buy a TrailerTri 18. But it turned out to be just a little small for my needs at the time. Now it would be great for my needs. So I ended up with a mono! Which I have since sold, bought a smaller mono and sold. Now I'm trying to decided what to build or buy.

Have you seen the Jarcat? I sailed one once and it had a nice cabin and cockpit and a good amount of speed. But was worried about the stability of a narrow cat. So I have plans for the CS17, but now looking more into the Belhaven 19 or EC22.

Fair leads,

Niels

Niels said

Have you seen the Jarcat? I sailed one once and it had a nice cabin and cockpit and a good amount of speed. But was worried about the stability of a narrow cat.

I recently heard that one of the local Jarcat owners (another Brisbane designer, so lots of them here) had capsized his boat for the THIRD time.

I agree they are a bit narrow.

Peter HK

As you can tell by my photo, I have sailed extensively for about 10 years the Marples constant camber 3 Meter Tri that I built. It is a great little toy and fun to sail with its mainsail and spinnaker. When you pop the spinnaker she really goes.

I, like Tom have followed Ian for many years and corresponded with him requesting a small foldable tri about 20 feet. I could never afford one of his Corsair tris but always hoped he would come up with something smaller and less expensive. The 22 looks wonderful and I am sure it will be a great boat. But I now am feeling the same way Tom feels, it is just too much effort to build such a large boat and impossible in my 18 foot garage.

For about 3 years, I raced as crew on an F 24. It was great fun and I enjoyed it very much but got tired of racing.

My nephew has an F 31 which was homebuilt of Duracore. I have cruised on it with him and had a lot of fun. It had a lot of room but much too big for me. It took us most of a day just to rig it.

I am just completing my CS 17 and hope to have many pleasurable sails in it. I intend to just keep it simple and small.

Dale

Hello Tom' date='

Nanaimo would be a great base for sailing- especially an F22. I was there in 2004, but in summer. For those of us in warmer climes the winter would be a challenge. All year round sailing here :D

Peter HK[/quote']

You can tell us Peter where you here to race bath tubs

Tom

smaller and less expensive. The 22 looks wonderful and I am sure it will be a great boat. But I now am feeling the same way Tom feels, it is just too much effort to build such a large boat and impossible in my 18 foot garage.

For about 3 years, I raced as crew on an F 24. It was great fun and I enjoyed it very much but got tired of racing.

My nephew has an F 31 which was homebuilt of Duracore. I have cruised on it with him and had a lot of fun. It had a lot of room but much too big for me. It took us most of a day just to rig it.

I am just completing my CS 17 and hope to have many pleasurable sails in it. I intend to just keep it simple and small.

Dale

I have been builing things for other people for 30 years. Displays store fixtures furniture etc. In that time I have made my self maybe three things. My wife said why don't you just buy one,it will take for ever to build. Nope I want to build it ...don't care how long it takes. Extended my garage 6' out the back to do it. I work at a plastic shop here in town. Suppliers and costumers have been coming out of the woodwork with deals on material

Tom

Tom said

You can tell us Peter where you here to race bath tubs

Not sure what you mean by this- the English is a little confused- but, while I was not in BC for any sailing reason, the area between Vancouver Island and the mainland and the inside passage north seemed like very agreeable cruising grounds. I'm sure an F22 would be great.

If you are suggesting that those of us that live close to the tropics have thin blood and don't tolerate icy conditions too well- you are probably right :wink:

Peter HK

This is a great area for boating. WHile there is a perception that Canada is a cold place with 6 feet of snow starting at the border, that does not apply to the west coast. I can remember three snowfalls this year and non of the snow was on the ground for more than a few days.

Unfortunately our summertime winds are non-existent. Being North of the trades we will get some persistent NW'lies but typically we can have weeks of very light and very variable winds with warmth and sunshine. Crappy sailing weather.

However the plethora of islands and varied coastline that starts towards the norhtern part of Vancouver Island is spectacular. Huge tides and currents, wildlife, islands, channels and best of all unpopulated except a few small settlements.

I wish I knew how to embed a google earth image but I'm still figuring that out.

IN google earth look up Comox, (there' only one ) and then go NW and SE to see the excellent boating geography.

Michael

Tom' date='

I live in Comox and work on Gabriola (week on/off) so I'm always passing through Nanaimo.

DO you have pictures or can I come see your boat.

Please.

Michael[/quote']

Plans just arrived Michael...nothing to look at yet but there are some F22 blogs out there. I could post them if you like. I work at Industrial Plastics in town give me a shout

• 2 weeks later...