Battery Charger

EdJones

I am thinking of installing two battery maintainers in my boat, one for each battery. It is cheaper to buy two single units than one that will handle more than one battery. I am looking at a unit that is 3 amps and is fully automatic, it switches from charge mode to maintain mode automatically and can be left on the battery for months. The cost is $21.00. Has anyone had any experience with these units? :?

• 1 month later...

I think battery maintainers are a charger that will initially charge at a higher rate, then drop down to "float" or "trickle" charge until the battery is charged, and then monitor the battery for additional charging as needed. The idea is that you always have the battery charged and don't have to worry about the charger burning up the battery by over-charging.

On my Renegade I have a 10 amp - 2 battery smart charger hooked up to an outlet that is switched/breaker protected as part of my shore power system (the rest of my system is another outlet on a separate breaker switch). It does exactly as Frank mentions. 2 singles or 1 double? I don't think it matters.

I finally bought two of the "battery maintainers" (one for each battery) on e-Bay for about $10.00 each. They operate on my 120 volt shore power system. They operate just as Frank said and my batteries stay at peak power.