Butt Joint Question

mjname

I need to start laying out and cutting my boat out ASAP, or rather in the next week. I have the rest of this month to work on it and some of April. I'm loosing time.

I need to make a butt joint to form two 12 foot sheets for the S11N. The only problem is Grahm and Carla are waiting for a shipment of Epoxy. The epoxy next door at the hardware store is 4 times the amount that B&B charges... and the tape isn't whats specified.

I have regular fiber glass and tape can I make the butt joint with that or...

The other option is to cut the one piece into the 4 foot section and use some scrap wood and some screws to fasten the 4 foot wood section to the 8 foot sheet making the 12 foot length so I can draw out my cuts and then butt joint it when the epoxy gets here, and then make the shape cuts then. I'm woried of just falling so behind that I won't have time to complete my dinghy in time.

Also there is mention of the scarf technique but no diagram for it. does any one have a link for that technique or should it just be avoided?

You can look at the thread just under this one for some info on scarfing http://www.messing-about.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5358 .

And you can use the BoardTracker search tool in the upper right hand corner of the page and find several threads with much info on the subject of joining plywood.

Once you have decided how you will proceed you can ask specific questions. There is no shortage of opinions here :lol:

Here are two opinions, to go with my two elbows of course:

Raka has the glass and epoxy you need in Ft. Pierce, FL. Along with a real can-do attitude. They didn't have the 1208 tape I wanted, so they ran a roll of cloth through the bandsaw and handed me the cutoff. Ring 772-489-4070.

In building two boats, I have had two scarf joints let go after I thought they were properly made. No tape & glue joints have given up. So I think you should use butt joints when you can.

Funny how a little sleep works wonders. Everyones post has pretty much confirmed it too.

On the one sheet of plywood that stays 4x8, I'll draw out all that I can there, while killing the dagger board, concentrating on nesting bulk head and all the doublers and also getting the the the center board trunk to all dry fit.

I'll cut the one sheet down to 4x4 and tack it in place via support strips and just roughly draw everything out. When the epoxy comes, I'll butt joint it into place, make final drawing and measuring and then my cuts.

Grahm, thanks for letting me know when the epoxy is coming! In my head I had it all worked up that I couldn't really do anything until the epoxy comes. This way I should be busy for the better part of a day.

thanks again Guys!!!

Matthew

• 4 weeks later...