I'm Back

Joe(Cold Spring onHudson)

My background is in maths, but my research area is in computer vision, which is trying to program a computer to extract 3D information from one or more 2D images (photographs or a video sequence). Humans make this look easy but computers need to be told quite explicitly what to do - its all just zeros and ones after all. Maths crops up rather heavily in this area, especially geometry and optimisation problems.

My specific research area is "Multiview shape reconstruction" which is the problem of reconstructing a 3D shape from multiple photographs taken from different points of view. I've been trying some of my ideas on the 3D figure shown below, which is called an ellipsoid (or football :) ) The needles sticking out of the object are called normals and are perpendicular to the object where they touch. I calculated the normals and the points where they touch from a set of 8 simulated "photographs," like the one shown below. Its not much but its a start :)

Sorry if this sounds a little stilted, but its the second time I've typed it, I lost the original when trying to upload the graphics.

[attachment over 4 years old deleted by admin]

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Tim, it is pretty interesting, and fun. I don't think there' s likely to be any intellectual property issues, but i there are they will be owned jointly by me, the university and my supervisers. They think of all all the ideas, I just do the work :roll:

Its a little but to abstract at this stage to have any real application - a very small step on a long road. :o

I think I got it, this is one of hte simulated "photggraphs"

[attachment over 4 years old deleted by admin]

Simon mate... yer lost me about here...

My background is in maths' date=' but my research area is in computer vision...[/quote']

Seriously?? sorry math and me parted ways in about 5th grade! yes yes forever embarrassed :oops: but it didnt make sence then and it still doesnt now! :? I mean how can a letter be a number? mmmm nope doesnt gell... hardest thing they ever didnt teach me I reckon :cry:

Can I ask why? no seriously... does it have conotations for the architects and boat designers and others of that bent? so its a program your designing?.... okay just had to come back and edit this about here now I can see some useful uses for it in boat design!! :lol: ... some fellas use a 3D rendering program to make graphics of their designs now with the depth your making the boat would take on a more realistic look than just looking like a toy right?... grab the copyright simon!!! 8)

Still amazes me the people one meets on this internet! 8) At times I feel like I got dropped straight out of the 50s and into some sci fi movie full of embarrassing smart brainiacs from the future and Im the only dumb country yobbo around! :roll: sorta like Id imagine Id be if I got froze and revived {whats that called cryo something?} 100 years in the future... ahhh well no worries! good to meet yer mate! 8)

WOW!! :shock: Did that spell check thing just freak out!!! :lol: near blew a gasket it did... HA!! 8) I will try flamin harder! I will crack the 100 mistake in 4 paras mark!! :twisted: Love the new toy Frank!!! :D

Shane, you have to be the first person ever to see a spell check program as flat out entertainment. Writing comes very hard to me (unlike math, which makes sense) so I'm always ready to do battle with spelling or grammar. And there you are treating it like a computer game to see who can rack up the highest score!!! Why didn't I ever think of that instead of always getting worried and upset over spelling tests and other writing tests. Why didn't you tell me this approach befor?? Why?? My life would have been happier. etc. etc........ (wanders off muttering, "why didn't I think of that?")

Jo math is a mind bogging sences stalling eye twirling gut wrenching fear infusing madness!... Fair flamin dinkum! :evil: ... I leave all math to the missus {the legendary possumpoop :lol: } no way would I touch it... well then again I have been known to give it a go now and then out of sheer boredom or frustration and do well at it!! Pretty chooffed with meself I gets... then some smarty pants lobs a wobbly on me and Im back to mind bogging sences stalling eye twirling gut wrenching fear infusing madness :? :x

The absolute insane madness of algebra drives me utterly ratty just looking at it!! Ive had a gander at that triganometry stuff and the loggoswhasits but its a total complete foreign lingo to me!!... And computers!! I mean this thing runs on 1 and 0??? WHASSAT??? sheeeeeeeeesh! I mean this is A MACHINE!!! eeerrr a motor people!!... really it all gets that way that it just plain confuses the gronicles of off me! :shock:

But words?? WORDS?? Words are the madness on which all commication rests the foundation of everything!! 8)

Spell checkers drive me to do weird things lik spel relly useles... I no no grama an me sintax lax depf... :lol:

Actually at the family do yesty for me birfdy this very subjek caim up... wif regards the Aussie idioms... such as fair dinkum cobber sport mate stone the flamin crows a whilly whilly bungarra etc and how its becomin somethin that is fast disappearin from everyday Aussie life... this is sad for me comin from my background much of the word usage of the days of yore in Aus above was and still is the common way of talkin yet the city fellas reckon its bunk and rubbish that we never spoke like me hero Chips Raffety or the likes of SteveFlaminIrwin... anyways words are aweflaminsom to play with!! I guess ive always been the family yarn teller they just flow from me gob and fingertips... :oops:

I wan tha rekord!!! :twisted: sos i is gona jist fergits it ekists an go on me merri waihs... thing is can anyone unnastan me?? :? rekon everyone cans meself I spek good Henglish i dos!! hits at Hamerkan than stumps me in me traks!! :lol:

Oi Jo??? How come yer didnt get over here for the birfdy party girl?? :cry: mmmmmmm was hexpektin yer al dai i was!! :wink:

• 1 year later...