Princess 26

Joe Nelson CS#35

Yes, sir. Chip Veres & CJ Walker are building a Princess 26 in our side yard in West Hollywood, FL. We have hull number 14, so I thought there were 13 other lucky captains?

So far the boat is just bulkheads and sides, but I almost ready to start the bottom.

(Warning- Not Approved By Mr. Byrnes) If I were starting over, I would divide the #2 bulkhead in half horizontally rather than vertically. Then double the joint on both sides to recover the lost strength. This is the only substantial change I would make.

No Princess 26, or even plans, but I have talked to Graham about working with me on plans for a Princess 28 along the lines of the Princess 26, scaled up to 28 feet. Not the strip hull Garry is working on, but a plywood version just like the 26. Hope to get started building later this year.

Goal is the same as everyone wants... shoal draft....as little draft as possible but still be able to right herself in the event of a knockdown. A long distance, coastal cruiser with the ability to operate independent of shore for a week to 10 days. That is enough food, water and battery capacity to last 1 or 2 people that long. Goal is to avoid marinas to limit cost....both of docking fees and fuel fees. Not anti-social, just cheap....errrrr....frugal. Will have the Spindrift along (it will be done by then!), and it will be towed, broken down or put on davits. An outboard kicker of 6 to 8 hp but this will be primarily a sailboat. Two feet may not sound like much, but it bumps the headroom about 6 to 9 inches and really opens up the interior. Speaking of the interior, I have been playing around with some ideas:

PrincessPlans4.jpg

This was sketched onto the Princess 26 plans, so is not to scale. Layout is for a large galley and I could not figure out a way to put a table in that would be out of the way, so I drew in a small table/chart table on the port side. Setup primarily to be single handed with occassional guests. Don't know how these boats behave, but most do best when the weight is kept low, centered....and out of the ends. Working on a list of equipment / criteria to fit her out. These are rough sketches for a starting point. Any ideas....let's hear em.

As it is, I am using a temporary "lower half" of the number 2 bulkhead to hold the hull in shape while I get the bottom and keel on. The keel will probably be "cold molded" in place by mixing 80% scrap lead and 20% epoxy. The Hollywood Police & Zoning department will have me in the crowbar hotel if I try regular lead casting in my backyard.

If I did it again, I would split #2 horizontally and just leave it in place.

• 3 months later...

Well I finally bit the bullet and purchased plans for Graham's P26 - the design seems to be just right for my purposes. However, this is mostly new to me. - (I've built a canoe, have sailed small boats, and have experience building furniture, tables...) So as I review the plans, and this forum, my questions mount :shock: My project plan has gone from one line 'get plan - build boat' to several pages of issues, thoughts, suppliers, things I hadn't thought of, covering all sorts of topics from floation, wiring, plumbing, epoxy, lead casting, plywood, navagation, power squadron classes, ...... and endless 'things to be aware of'. Many notes clipped from this forum. This promises to be an excellent learning adventure. I'm just hoping to keep 'newbie' mistakes to minimum. My wife and kids hope to help out :D They are going to take classes with me.

Well, the Princess seems like a beautifull boat - and I'm sold on the Cat Ketch rig. I'm sure I'll be lurking here quite often.

Are there any other Princesses in the northeast?