CS 17 hull #172, Just getting started

James Bandle

You're right about that one! Very unsettling for me too when I was at that point a few weeks ago.

The plans are unusually vague regarding this. In fact the precise angle of the bottoms in relation to the sides can be arranged within several degrees of variation. Rather scary, since the consequences of a misalignment are impossible to foresee!

Since there was nothing further to do, I just glassed them together where it seemed like the chines had the most contact. This screwed up the stem profile quite considerably, so after curing I had to refair it.

I believe the most important aspect of this step is to ensure symmetry between port and starb'd sides, above all else.

The boat went together well in the end with no known bugs, so far.

Good luck, Jan

I deliberately did not give that dimension, because if there were slight variations in the laying out and cutting and the builder stuck to the dimension he would have trouble getting it to come together properly.

The area where both panels meet on the chine is straight so that it lies together naturally. Jan is right, do both panels together one on top of the other so that you get identical panels and you are good to go.