Two Paw Construction Questions and Recommendations

EdenRose

I am looking at building a Two Paw.

I have a 5x10 sheet of 4mm Okoume left from an

earlier project.

If I intend on sheathing the outside with fiberglass, can

this boat be built with 4mm hull planks (thicker pieces

would be used for bulkheads and transoms)?

What would weight be?

AND... how has this boat been for folks as a rowing

boat and tender for yachts. I would tow the boat and

only break it down for storage on deck between trips.

EDENROSE

I'm sure that the boat would be great for rowing and acceptable for towing. If you are going to tow it a lot, you might want to consider a Spindrift nester.

The pram style dinghy is an efficient design for rowing (non-planing) speeds. However, when towing, the short waterline will be trying to get up on plane.

The Spindrift is designed to plane a lot easier than the Two Paws resulting in less drag and less strain on the tow line. My 11 ft Spindrift nester has much less drag than my previous nesting pram (not a Two Paws but very similar).

The Spindrift is designed to plane a lot easier than the Two Paws resulting in less drag and less strain on the tow line. My 11 ft Spindrift nester has much less drag than my previous nesting pram (not a Two Paws but very similar).

I currently tow a very heavy cedar planked Herreshoff Pram. It tows ok, but

the bow transom does stay out of the water. What makes the Spindrift plane easier, given the waterlines are about the same? Is it the V bottom?

I'm no expert, but it's basicly the amount of fore and aft curve, rocker, in the bottom. The pram style has more rocker which is more efficient at slow (rowing) speeds but has more drag at higher (towing) speeds. The Spindrift has straighter lines and planes easier at towing speeds or with a small outboard or with a brisk breeze.

I'm no expert' date=' but it's basicly the amount of fore and aft curve, rocker, in the bottom. The pram style has more rocker which is more efficient at slow (rowing) speeds but has more drag at higher (towing) speeds. The Spindrift has straighter lines and planes easier at towing speeds or with a small outboard or with a brisk breeze.[/quote']

Oh, those damn compromises in small boats :D

I guess I have to go with rowing efficiency as I won't be using

an outboard or sail. I should pick up some towing efficiency over

the inflatable I towed for six months on my trip to Alaska and back

or the current pram that weighs double what the Two Paw will weigh.

I think the narrow bowed Norwegian prams with lots of rocker

are the sexiest boats out there :wink:

Thanks for the input so far,

EdenRose

My previous pram was a Bruce Roberts design that I adapted to a nesting design. I did have a fore and aft seat in the bow also. Instead of a crossbeam seat in the stern, I had a drop-in piece that extended the fore and aft seat to the stern. I liked this better that the cross beam seat for balance.