Ready for the final finish

Guest Oyster

I have scattered this shots about. But I thought I would link them together. I have the trim left to do for the coaming, after I sand it, and cap them, but its ready for the varnish and finish paint work. After that I will install the foward bunks and portapotty with the privacy curtain. :wink: I will varnish the bowsprit, too, since its Honduras Mahogany.

The floor boards along side the trunk, will also sit on a ledger along side the trunk and seats, to also make nice sleeping bunks. The seats will also be slatted, but I did not want to trash them while I have crawled over the seats while doing all the interior work and rigging also for the cabin and mast tabernacle. Thats another custom rigging, to get it to work across the top of the large centerboard, and work in that postion on the boat. I also did not want any seat thwarts, and wanted to maintain all the stress to the keel area. This also keep the cabin built liteweight, too, with no heavy framing in it. The seating around the top worked out great, but took some masterminding to figure that one out. I will also dde metal rubrail when the paint work is done, that will be faced before with mahogany.

roundsternwithrudder.jpg

bowdeck1.jpg

DSC00129.jpg

profile1.jpg

aftdeckplanking.jpg

I made floor boards for the boat out of some vertical grain fir, and seams also filled with pigmented white epoxy resin. I used teak down the centerline, since I ran out, and since I used teak for the centerboard cap.

aftdeck2.jpg

This is the cabin rigging. I taped it and filled it with cabosil and epoxy, and capped it with mahogany trim. The duct tape made a nice tolerance when I was done. It fits perfect. With the round cabin, and the taper foward, it was a challenge to figure out how to make a tight fit with the ever changing top angles, too. The top had a crown in it, too. Now I hope I got all the shots together in one thread.

23cabinveeslot.jpg

resizedgluejoint.jpg

This is the self supporting mast step rigging. I have two pins that locked them in place when I set the mast. The centerboard and mast step, fore and afte is also all tied together,front and back, if you look closely to the mortised wood at the top.

DSC00075.jpg

Jim, I had originally planned for the boat to have duel power with the EV America electric power, inboard. But to justify and make the motor run properly, this required about 800 lbs of batteries. I really did not want ballast that high up, spaced as far out as would have been required, and just plain carry that much around when I could just place a simple 9 hp four stroke motor on it and go when need be. The motor will also store behind the seat, sticking the prop under deck, and allow the block to rest in a saddle. in the deeper area beside the well.

Frank, the boat is really not a fantail. A fantail normally has more of an extended configuation, leaning aft and upward across the water. This hull is more in line with the Chapelle sharpie, but is wider and shares a skipjack bottom, cross planked, and more along the lines of the working and tonguing boats of the bay. Of course the free board is a bit higher for pleasure use. The foward section will allow for several days of provisions for the barrier islands and for the west coast cruising in Florida this year, in the winter. I will not have my new invention ready until at least next winter, more in line with a cruiser displacement hull. No at this time I do not have plans and drawings for it.

Jeff, I attempted to sail it before doing all the woodwork, checking the rigging, but it did not happen. I will finish it completely, now, and while you guys are shoveling snow, I will attempt to share some shots, them. 8)

Thanks, Adla, its been a lot of fun, keeping the brain working ahead of the saw, too. Again, the only purchased material in the boat has been the caulking, fasteners, mahogany, and sail hardware for the decks. The tabernacle is actually recycled from a S&S 23 footer, that I also modified to allow the mast to pivot through it. That, to me, is the most rewarding part of the project.

WOW! I just had a feeling that this would be an outstanding project when I first saw the shape and feeling of the lines of the hull. What a beauty! I think I'm most passionate about the foredeck. You outdid yourself and the craftsmanship is incredible. I think I said once before that I love how the recycled materials become this special. Well done Mike! Looking forward to the winter sailing shots.

Thanks again group. Here is another problem that I had to solve with the roller for the mainsail. Its always hard to find just the right size, without running around forever. And when you do, it seems to be big bucks for what you get. So have found that a bunch of fender washers, of several widths, same hole of course, had never failed rolling and has not jambed yet on my other mast. SO this is what it looks like. As a side note, I coat the inside of the slot with thickened epoxy, sealing the wood, as a minor fix to protect the wood, if you are wondering what all that stuff is around the washers. These works like a champ.

DSC00138.jpg

DSC00137.jpg

Thanks again group. Here is another problem that I had to solve with the roller for the mainsail. Its always hard to find just the right size' date=' without running around forever. And when you do, it seems to be big bucks for what you get. So have found that a bunch of fender washers, of several widths, same hole of course, had never failed rolling and has not jambed yet on my other mast. SO this is what it looks like. As a side note, I coat the inside of the slot with thickened epoxy, sealing the wood, as a minor fix to protect the wood, if you are wondering what all that stuff is around the washers. These works like a champ.

[img']http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v356/Bateau1/DSC00138.jpg[/img]

DSC00137.jpg

Do you have the washers loose enough to rotate, or are they stationary? I was wondering about chafe with that kind of set up, but I'll bet the new yacht braids don't have a problem with it.