Dove Done

pretty boat Joe- nice pic also. Congratulations.

I've emptied my shop of all the interim furniture that HAD to be finished. As of today it reverts to a boat shop. WHoopee!!!

Forms to be built for frames for new deck hatches on a Condor 40, plus start laying out two 13 foot kayaks.

I'm a happy guy.

Amazing 117 people have viewed this thread and only THREE had the courage to comment lol ;)

Jeff she handles well we are still letting her talk to us and tell us how she likes to be sailed. As soon as the rain breaks I will be out on her more. So far its a interesting comparison to our catboat "Tidbit" which has enormous initial stability and is like sailing a Cadillac, you never have to worry. With Dove she is a lot more tender but once she heels she has a lot of secondary stability and will stand up to a little blow. You just have to get used to the heal but once she is over she sticks and goes no further. One cool thing with a ketch is the Wing on Wing sailing. Where you have the main out on one side and the mizzen out on the other. She just sails flat with no heal, kinda cool. One very cool thing is she has a line that runs around the deck through blocks and attaches to the tiller so you can steer here from anywhere on the boat and comes in super handy when single handling her.

For those that don't know he lineage she is a 1945 Atkins Active III you can see her restoration here

http://www.woodenboatvb.com/vbulletin/upload/showthread.php?t=5893

I have to say I most taken with her salty looks, she is just a dream to look at just sitting on her mooring. Look forward to photos of her under sail taken from "Tidbits" cockpit and vice a versa ;)

Starboard side.

L1070265.jpg

Stern

L1070263.jpg

Port Side

L1070261.jpg

3/4 view

L1070260.jpg

Joe, sorry. I've been kind of busy at work with anesthesia machines and teaching. Now I have a moment to comment. The only problem I see with Dove (and Tidbit for that matter) is that they are too far away from me.

Dove is another lovely boat and I envy you getting to sail her. I do appreciate that you share the imagesand stories with us.

Tell you what. I'm going to have Bill put you down as a "for sure" for the Minnesota Messabout next June. We'll leave it up to you as to which boat you bring-- Dove, Tidbit or both. :D

Again - VERY lovely boat. I noticed she's called a "periagua" (or similar) in the plans. Variations I'm sure, of the spelling, of the same type. A name that not many are aware of. Most would just call her a "cat-ketch"

I also noticed you were troubled with some jerks in the thread on Woodenboat :lol::lol:

Oh- and my wife also found that vinegar worked well for cleaning bronze. She just soaked ours. Didn't try the boiling. I'll tell her about that for next time.

Beautifully done Joe. I too have used the boiling vinegar technique for cleaning bronze in the past. An old timer here in the Northwest turned me onto it years ago. Simplest and best method I've found to date.

Sorry about the "Jerks" on the WBF. That is why I don't even bother with it at all.

So yesterday the Skies cleared and we decided to take dove for a little spin ;)

Phil setting the sails as I went back to the car and stowed things like cellphones and wallets in my car ;)

ed38b59c.jpg

ed38b454.jpg

ed38b577.jpg

And we are off on a little bit of a reach

ed38b377.jpg

ed38b5cf.jpg

Looking forward while stearing by wire, Phil picks our heading

ed38b532.jpg

Ahhhhh she finally sails say's Phil Ol Bean ;)

ed38b423.jpg

And what pretty sails they are

ed38ac97.jpg

On a reach she heals but not too far

ed38abff.jpg

More sailin

ed38b338.jpg

What thread would not be complete without a photo of the original gap toothed crome dome :D

ed38b204.jpg

WE DID IT !!!

ed38b408.jpg

Arrrrg are we not rockstars :D

Lovely!!

And that bronze finished out beautifully.

And wooden horn cleats!! I made some of those for Tehani using black locust I got from Ross Faneuf :lol:

The 3 strand halyards and sheets definitely fit the boat. Are they dacron?

Thanks for the pics. And she was definitely worth the effort Joe.