Rode size for Weekender?

umop_apisdn

I finally purchased a "real" anchor for my Weekender - a 7.5KG plow, with 20 feet of 5/16 chain.

Now, what diameter of line to I use for the rode? I understand I need something that is big enough to not break, but small enough to stretch a bit and absorb shock.

It should be braided nylon, right?

Oh, and should I put the swivel between the nylon and chain rodes, or between the chain and anchor?

Thanks,

Noel

For anchoring I MUCH prefer 3 strand nylon ( when I don't use all chain)

3/8sth will be more than sufficient for a Weekender. Actually as far as strength is concerned, 1/4 would do, but it would be very hard on your hands.

I'd go with the 3/8sth.

By the way I use 1/2 inch 3 strand to anchor my 5300 pound displacement ( 7000 pounds loaded) sloop when I am using the nylon rode. My main anchor has 75 feet of chain then 200 feet of 1/2 inch 3 strand.

Why do you prefer 3-strand? Three-strand nylon always goes all soft on me and the strands lose their lay, and separate and get kinks in them. I used it for crab line for a while, and finally got frustrated and tossed the whole mess out and got braided.

If quarter inch braid is sufficient, that appeals to me because I have 200 feet of it, brand new, that I am not using. I don't mind the hard-on-the-hands bit, since I don't see myself anchoring out more than three or four times a year.

EDIT: You have 75 feet of chain? Will 20 be enough then for a weekender? Should I add more?

Noel

Chain is a wonderful addition to the ground tackle of a cruising yacht , but not necessary on a pocket yacht. A small length, say about 6 to 10 feet would help shorten your needed scope a bit, but not worth the weight penalty for it's very limited use.

Three strand nylon is a common choice because it's light weight, is stretchy, easy to splice, inexpensive and quite strong. It lacks the chafe and abrasion resistance of other types of line or chain, but pound for pound and dollar for dollar, hard to beat in small yachts. The single and double braids lines will not be as stretchy, though may wear better, are more difficult to splice, though they will be stronger.

OK- first- you really don't need that much chain but it can't hurt anything except add some weight, which some feel can do the weekender good up front.

Your 200 feet of braid should do just fine. Use it and feel comfortable. The breaking capacity of that would most likely pick up the boat.

Now to answer some of your questions.

We use 75 feet of chain on the main anchor ( a 22 pound Claw) because we cruise Tehani. We never know day to day just where she'll be when it comes time to anchor. We've occasionally had to anchor in really tight spots where the chain was REALLY a nice thing to have down. We also tend to anchor in out of the way places where should we get an unexpected wind shift, or squalls, we could have little or no protection. So we tend toward overkill, since that's our REAL insurance policy. We also don't have to worry about chafe when using all chain.

I vividly recall one night anchored off Ship Island in Mississippi Sound when just after midnight the wind went west ( losing us ANY lee) and increased to about 20- 25 til just after daylight. We were riding to 60 feet of chain in 8 feet of water and I watched the bow go under two waves during the night and heard several breaking waves go hissing past in the dark. I was VERY happy to have that chain down. (and wishing I was in 12 feet)

I choose 3 strand for several reasons. It's more stretchy than braid so acts as a shock absorber in the rode . On the chain, I hook a chain hook on and let out 15 feet of 1/2 nylon that the boat rides to, just for that reason. It's like a rubber band.

Secondly, it's very easy to splice. I use no shackle between chain and nylon. I use a chain/rope splice instead. I inspect it regularly ( have found no chafe at all so far) and SHOULD it need to be replaced, it's a 10 minute job to cut the splice off and resplice- Laura can do it also.

I don't use a swivel at all. Just a shackle between chain and anchor.

I should mention that our second anchor is a Danforth ( 12 POUND Hi Tensile) with 25 feet of chain and 200 feet of nylon. We use that when we need to Bahama moor or otherwise have two anchors out.

If we are cruising away from the gulf coast I also have a 15 pound folding Northhill, with 25 feet of chain and another 200 feet of nylon. This rode is 5/8ths by the way, because I had it. It lives at the house unless we are really heading out for long distances.

We also carry a small Danforth ( 4 pounder) with 75 feet of 3/8 nylon, as a "swing stopper" or whatever incidental use it calls for.

But again- remember we sail a fairly heavy boat and anchor in exposed places, far from home base. You certainly won't need that kind of gear for weekend use.

One of the Weekender builders has cruised his boat in Florida the last two years. I'll bring this thread to his attention and let him chime in with HIS anchor details.

OK sorry I've been asleep at the wheel so to speak.. Week 2 of the Wizard of Oz.. playing to glowing reviews..

Anyway. The "don't need chain " statement is just plain silly. I've anchored with and without, and the security of even 10 feet of chain is worth it's weight in galvanized steel. The chain helps with primary security when anchored, but more importantly establishes a proper angle for the anchor to set in the first place.

You don't have weight in the weekender... but it's not weight that determines your need to keep in place for the most part at anchor... it's windage and current.

The weekender needs about 50 lb in the forepeak anyway.. it is a much better boat with the nose down.

I use 3/8 line (braided) on a 10 foot chain. I have 2 anchors set up in the forepeak. 1 is a smallish danforth with a "slip ring" set up. Good for river sailing because if it snags the slip ring will slide down the neck and you can retrieve without a trip line if you have a snag. you just move over the top of the anchor itself to use this feature.. this anchor isn't good for shifting tides and winds though.

the second it the 12.5 lb manta from marisafe (bruce clone) It is also on 10 feet of heavy chain. We bounced around quite a bit this year on the BEER cruise, and had some good storms at PIKL. The boat never even thought about going anywhere.

I mostly used the Manta off the bow and the danforth off the stern in close quarters.

I also have a 15 lb mushroom that is not even hooked up to any rode just for weight/ ballast in the forepeak.

Whatever you do.. don't anchor off the stern alone in the weekender if any kind of current is expected.. don't ask me how I know, but retrieval especially single handed can be quite ... uh scary...

And finally... Use that big set of bits (samson post like thingie) that you built over the base of the bowsprit to cleat your anchor... you'll look very nautical and be the envy of your cruise mates... :-)

John