Rudder Question

Denis Goyette

ok, let me see if I can explain this without paper and pencil....

Curves are measured by their radius, just like a circle. the radius of a curve is the radius of what the circle would be if you continued the curve all the way around until it intersected itself.

For example, think if a slice of pie. If you have a pie that is 12 inches across, then the pie has a 6 inch radius.

Now cut a slice out of the pie, and then eat the pointy tip portion, so now you have the "back half" of the slice (with the crust). You can put that piece of pie on a four inch plate, right? Because it is just a small chunk of a slice.

But the curved edge (the crust) of that little bitty chunck still has a 6 inch radius.

Did I confuse you more?

Noel

For example' date=' think if a slice of pie. If you have a pie that is 12 inches across, then the pie has a 6 inch radius. [/quote']

So - in other words he should find a pie plate (or pizza pie plate?) that is 16" across and then use that to mark the curve :D?

That's basically what I did.

Dennis, recently I drew out the Weekender rudder from the plans and found that those radii are incorrect. Actually they should have been identified as diameters. I don't remember what I did when I laid out the rudder to actually make it but here are corrected dimensions. Note that if the pivot hole is placed as per the plans in the rudder and the rudder box, you'll end up needing to extend that 8 5/8" dimension a little to get the rudder to swing through 90

Here are a few pictures I took to give you an idea on how it looks with a gallon of paint for the circle in the picture you will see a pen on the back side of the rudder that space will have a bungee cord that runs throught the top of the rudder box and a cam cleat on top when you want to put your rudder down, as you pull the bungee it pulls the rudder down and holds it in place and if you hit bottom or something it releases it so it wont break your rudder.

post-470-129497651675_thumb.jpg

post-470-12949765168_thumb.jpg

post-470-129497651688_thumb.jpg

post-470-129497651693_thumb.jpg