Skipper

Mark Gudschinsky

July 15, 2006.

After a whole year Skipper was almost ready for launching. Final preparations were done with lots of late night work and help from family and friends. Mike Pennington and my Uncle Steve made the sails and put together all of the rigging. Dad and I finished the rudder and tiller and other small things. I put on Skippers name myself. Later I will send a thank you card to the store that made Skipper

Wow! What a pretty Skipjack! Nicely done! Certainly a worthy addition to the fleet! Lots of good stories to follow I'm sure as you get used to your new boat. Now Alexander will be playing catch up. But I guess he can get lots of exercise rowing and treasure hunting done while you are sailing.

Very nice to see this project finished and on the water. Lots of ladies, both young and a bit older buiilding some very nice boats. Wonderful to see this happening. :wink:

Laura's boat was at a definite handy cap, the home made sail upper stick had a bend at the top. It caused the sail shape to sag. Never the less, that little boat skipped right along. The new sail, Mark ordered, will solve that problem.

Joan and I were hoping to squeeze in one more weekend at Harding Lake this summer. If so, maybe, Laura will let me sail her boat against Mark's Weekender and we might find out just how spry this little skip-jack is :wink:

Umm, on second thought, can I sail the Weekender, too?

Laura's boat was also unanimously voted the "August Boat of the Month", by the Combined Alaskan Fleet. 8)

The Ladies of the Fleet have spoken, and they are quite proud of our youngest skipper.

Us guys, we're just standing back in awe as Laura competently, sails her boat out of the channel. Me, I'm still messing around with the dang tangled club foot sheet ( Mark promised me he would change that some day) :shock:

normal_Fairbanks_Fleet.JPG

Congratulations Laura- that's a fine looking boat. Lateen rig eh?

Let's see- I still have a set of plans. I've got a lateen rig from a wrecked Dolphin. Once I finish the new customer boat, and the two canoes, and the Bolger Bobcat, maybe I can------

So many boats, so little time!

:lol::lol:

• 3 months later...

Hi guys,

The channel was so shalow swimmers bottom was scrapping it. It confirms my suspition that Laura is bad luck along with the water temperature when docking and the wet wind speed. Picked up a beer can on the way (with dads boat hook) but unforchunitly the beer was gone. I even beat the car to the cabin. (And you guys think sail boats are fast) Sorry on misspellings, spell check is missing. Did I miss something?

P.S. His name is Neptune