P22 #19 is launched

I'm posting these 3 as proof that the cabin was, once upon a time, clean and dry. And free of crayon. The varished plywood between the seats flips over and mounts on the tabernacle via pintels and gudgeons to make a table. The other end is held by a line up to an eye on the hatch frame.

The galley and head are for the kids, although the ergonomics in the head are pretty good once you're actually seated. Kind of like a Corvette.

post-677-129497651266_thumb.jpg

post-677-129497651273_thumb.jpg

post-677-12949765128_thumb.jpg

Look how happy the boat has made this guy. Well, maybe he looks a little delirious from physical exertion and breathing sawdust, and because his glasses are epoxied to his hair. But mostly it's pure joy.

Graham, thank you. Thanks also to all the regulars on this forum, you guys are a huge help.

Aaarrrrrrrr!!!!!!

post-677-129497651299_thumb.jpg

She's absolutely beautiful! I'm curious to see how the new interior works out for you. I once had an ancient Fairline 19 (an early fibreglass cabin cruiser in England) with a very similar cabin layout (slightly smaller, actually), and I liked it quite a bit.

Regardless of the interior, I'm sure it will sail great! Your kids must think you're pretty special!

Very nice job John. I have followed your progress with keen interest. You're an inspiration. Thanks for the photos along the way.

I would love to hear from you about those masts. My plans call for aluminum, but I prefer wood. Also any other things you found challanging would be greatly appreciated.

May the winds always be at your back :lol:

Norm

Norm, I just followed Frank Hagan's page on making birdsmouth masts. approach (http://users2.ev1.net/~fshagan/bm.htm). I started with 1x2s ripped from 28' 2x12s from the local lumber yard (doug fir, I guess for floor joists). I "stickered" them under the boat for a year while I was buildilng it so they were good and dry, and the individual staves were strong except around knots which I tried to avoid. I used a circular saw and cheap table saw to taper and notch the staves. I did not plane the staves to thickness along their lengths (so the walls get proportially thicker near the top).

I glued the mizzen up with epoxy, then ran out of patience and used gorilla glue on the main. After planing/sanding (went pretty quick), I went back over and filled all the voids I could find with thickened epoxy. I wrapped a few layers of tape around the hinge and base. The main might weigh 40 lbs, no problem to handle myself in any case, and it's surprisingly stiff. However I do not feel at comfortable about having knots.

The masts were a lot of fun, and I would build them again. Might have to anyway. :) Next time I will use clear fir, and find a decent table saw.

I did everything myself on this boat, I mean alone with nobody around to help. I think the hardest part was turning it over since it's big and heavy, and hard to control. The most unpleasant part was pouring the keel. The lead generated a lot of slag, and I just was very nervous in general the whole time about heavy metal contamination of things. Second most unpleasant was sheathing with polyester. It's tough as hell, but you can't feather it, and it drinks up a ton of epoxy. Next time I would use glass.

All by yourself, now i'm more impressed. My kids have helped a little, but they're older than yours. Mostly with holding battens when I was drawing curves. Otherwise I'll be building mine solo as well.

Thanks for the input. I've been collecting lead. Melting it into blocks to clean up the material. Charlie Jones posted an awesome tutorial on his pour so I'm fairly comfortable with that. I think I'll make the mold upside down so I have a smooth surface to mount. I still have a ways to go before I get to that.

Thanks again, hope you check in here now and then, I may need your experience. You have set the bar pretty high for us amatuers. Enjoy :D

Guest Oyster

Quietly behind the scenes, a nice boat has been created. Great work. Norman, there is another fellow that is building a 22 that built a rig like Charles, and its sitting idle for now, and can be had for a reasonable price, as I understand it from Tony, in eastern north carolina. He melted down the weights ahead of time and made a pour for his keel.

• 4 months later...