Ohio river cruise

Jordyn and I motor sailed 6 mile up river yesterday evening to an island. We got there at dark dropped the hook. We had a great peanut butter and honey dinner along with a hour or so in the cockpit under a full moon. It was beautiful out there. We had a few tow boats traveling by in the night which rocked us around a bit, but not bad.

Today we beat about 12 miles to a new bridge and Rockport. Jordyn did some reading while I learned more about our new boat. She is very forgiving of my mistakes. We had about 10 mph winds all day. I will have to learn more about watching the water depth. We ran aground in the middle of the river. Not bad but I had to raise the board and rudder to escape.

Here are a few pictures of the day.

Graham She sails like a dream I LOVE her.

post-192-129497651161_thumb.jpg

post-192-129497651167_thumb.jpg

• 8 years later...

Scott
  Where did you start and how far are you going.  I want to do a river trip.  How much of it could or did you do by sail.  I figure I would have to do it all by motor except where I may go across a lack between locks.  I am planning or a cs-17 with some sort of cab since I am looking at a long trip down the Missouri river.  Was barge traffic a problem?
Thanks