Help?

Dave R1

I'm looking for something like what I've drawn to use on my Weekender as hooks for some bungees for a boom tent/sail cover. Any idea where I might come up with something like this ready made? I drew them with the base being a half inch by 1.25" although the length isn't terribly critical. I'm thinking if I can't lay my hands on any before the weekend I'll make them out of aluminum angle stock.

clip.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions. I looked at things like small coat hooks. They're too big. Door catch hardware is too thin and sharp. I thought of what they look like this morning--curtain rod brackets--but they are also too thin and sharp.

Problem is, they are so tiny. As I drew them 1/2 x 1/2 by 1 1/4 inch

I'm going to see if a buddy of mine can come up with some scraps of HDPE from which I could mill these on the router table. If that doesn't work, I'll use my fall back plan of 1/2" long cylindrical nylon spacers with a screw running up through the center. I don't want to do that because I think it will be ugly but I might not have any choice.

How exactly are you planning on using these? From what I've read you are looking for something permenantly attached to the upper rub rail that you can use as a tie-off point for your boat cover (?)

I think I found what you're looking for in the West Marine catalogue

p61-11.jpg

http://www.western-marine.com/page38.htm

They also have turn buttons which might work better.

Thanks guys. Andrew, that's kind of the idea and looks like a cool website I need to peruse. Those hooks are still too big, though. The cover I'm working on is more like a boom tent intended to cover the mainsail and cockpit when the boat is on a mooring or tied up at a dock overnight. I've got some shock cord that is about 1/8" in diameter from which I'll make loops to hook over the hooks I'm now working on.

I've got a new idea for how to make them and I was able to pick up some scraps of 5/8" thick Delrin to make them from.

They have to be pretty tiny because I only have a half inch wide surface on which to mount them. The other problem I have is I need them installed on the boat before the 4th of July because we're planning to take the boat with us on a short vacation to northern MN.

I'll report on what I end up with in case anyone is interested.

Thanks again.

Dave

Dave,

Assuming your boom tent has grommets on it, what I've used in the past is to screw an eye hook into the top of a soda or water bottle cap, and use a soda or water bottle as a "sand bag" to hold a boom tent down. It's a pretty simple solution, and these days empty soda/water bottles seem readily available.

Another solution is to get a set of boat cover suction cups from Boatus or West Marine. I think they should stick to the weekender's ....might want to try a cheap suction cup before investing in the big ones.

You need a mooring cover hook. It's less then a 1/2" wide, stamped stainless steel, held down with two #8 screws and it has a hook. A quick look and I found a Taylor part number for the closed nylon eye version (11714) West Marine number 403925. I know they make them as a hook too. Awning shops will have them in stock.

Jeff, thanks for that great idea. Hmmm...Thinking....Thinking....I might have to start drinking some bottled water. ;)

PAR, I think you've hit it. Thank you. Problem is, I need them on the boat by the end of the day Saturday. There isn't anywhere locally to get them so it looks like I'll be making whatever I use myself.

Thanks for the suggestions all.

Dave

FWIW, I just got finished making 16 hooks for my mooring cover. It took less time to make them than to drive to the nearest place that would have commercially made hooks. They are made from Delrin and to a different design than the ones I drew for the original post.

My bride is out of town for the weekend and took the camera so pictures of them will have to wait until later. If anyone is interested in making their own I can post the new drawings and describe the fabrication process.