Scott's Launch

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We got home last night about 1 am. With a minor trailer problem. The front keel roller bent a bit under the load and rough roads. So I plan to put her in the lake and weld an extra roller up front to help carry the load.

She pulled on the road like a dream. My truck only has a v6 and handled her just fine.

Thanks again to Graham and Carla for their help and putting up with me.

I don't know who started this rain drop thing. :roll: But I must get this name thing lined out. It is true that every time I try to work on this boat since it's been out of the shop it rains. So I told Graham I should name her Rain dance. Some how that got changed to rain drops. :? Belive me there is not rain drops but buckets of rain every time I get the tools out.

So after much thought and in put from my girls the name will not be Rain dance. Belhaven #3 will be JenJor Renea.

Scott

Congratulations on the maiden voyage Scott!

Funny, it seems like the weather here in NC has been great since you headed back home... I'll have to remember to call you the NEXT time we have a drought (we were in one until your arrival) :lol:

Now I just need to get my CS done - I think you started your boat after I started on mine...

Scott,

"Jenjor Renea" it is! I just picked up on the thread above and thought you had named her that. :oops: It would be fitting, but this name is much better, as I'm sure there is a family connection there.

Sorry about the mix-up.

Glad to hear you had a good trip over and back and a successful fitting out and launch. Remember to have a little fun with the boat while it is on the lake for the trailer adjustment. :)

Steve

Congratulations, Scott! It's pretty cool when you can launch your handiwork with the help of her designer! You'll have to explain the origin of her (real) name to us. I hope to hear details of many adventures this season.

Go Scott!!!!

Great to see you reach the launch of your boat. I have followed the building with interest and may build a Belhaven or Princess in the future (when I am too old to sleep in the boom tent). Hope you enjoy her and get a great deal of pleasure and statisfaction from sailing a hand build boat.

Thanks for the comments on JenJor Renea. I have been working out some bugs over the last few days. All the bugs were caused by my learning curve and not the designer. Nothing major but small changes none the less.

If it ever cools down around here, I'll get back at finishing her up inside.

I have a cherry sole to install along with the galley and some varnishing.

The wife and I are planning another Ohio river trip next week mabe for a couple of nights.

I took her out last saturday in very light winds 5mph and a few 10mph gusts. She moves along nicly even in the light airs. I can not wait for some steady15 and 20 mph winds.

I think I will get that staysail ordered as soon as I can for those 10 mph days.

A few of you wanted to know the origin of her name JenJor Renea.

It goes like this, As Graham told me you can never get in any trouble with the wife when you name your boat after her daughters.

So JEN is for Jennifer, Jor is for Jordyn and Renea is for our late daughter Candice Renea and our 2 year old granddaugther Hannah Renea. So there you have it. I did kind of like the name Raindance to.

• 6 months later...

Gordy I have been looking at her in the driveway the last couple of weeks and she seems to be begging me to get her out.

I have been collecting materials to get the inside finished up when the weather breaks.

I have two for sure cruises planned as of today. The Beer cruise is a go and I am going to take her to lake Cumberland in Kentucky for the first week of May. This is one that I decided myself and anyone is welcome that would like to explore the prettiest lake in the midwest. If the PIKL ever gets a firm date I'll try to get to that one also.

We are still planning to visit NC coast again this fall for a week of sailing.

Thanks Gordy for digging up some :D old bones :D to talk about.

Scott

Scott,

Be aware that the Cumberland Dam is leaking and the lake level has been dropped drastically. Many of the ramps we know are unusable - the Corps is intending to get that fixed, but check on this before departing.

I have been thinking something similar - Dale Hollow first or second weekend in May.

:cry:Brent, Hope that is not as bad as it sounds. Lake Cumberland is truly one of the most beautiful lakes around. I had visions of anchoring near one of the many waterfalls that feed the lake. It also has the best striper fishing in the nation. Also below the dam you can fish for trout. The lake is very deep and cold so it supports the stripers, wallie and trout.

Kidd I can't see how it could effect Kentucky lake.

Scott

Kidd,

Kentucky Lake is a completely separate destination to Lake Cumberland. Kentucky Lake is a great place to sail - there is the developed side with marinas and resturaunts, and the wild side with Land Between the Lakes. Stop by any time. Know that in winter the lake level is dropped some to make room for spring runnoff, but even then you will have not problem getting a CS in at the ramp and navigating around.

Scott,

I am all with you on Lake Cumberland - great destination, great fishing. I am hoping for the best with regards to the lake level and getting on with another fine boating season.

Thanks for the input I am not familiar with those lakes but my brother lives in Padukah. I would love to take my boat up to sail there. Might convince him to build his own. It's not like I really need a reason to go sail any where. :D Sounds like a great place though.