4mm Okoume for Spindrift 10'? (Graham?)

Guest Frank Hagan, Weekender, O

I finally found a southern California source for imported marine plywood. Right now, he only has 4mm Malvo Okoume-Combi ply (okoume faces with a spruce inner ply). This is manufacturered to BS standards (1088 or the other one ... 2566? ... can't remember what he said) standards in France. He says its stiffer than the okoume ply that has all okoume plies. He'll have more of the 6mm (1/4") in after the first of the year.

Anyway,could the 4mm ply be used for the Spindrift 10'?

I can get the 6mm birch ply, with 5 birch plies made to the Finnish standard with phenolic glues. He'll have some more after the first week in December. If I can't go with the thinner Okoume, I'll probably use this birch ply.

fshagan@ev1.net

Guest Graham Byrnes

If you can afford to wait you would be happier with 6mm okume. With 4mm the aft sections of the bottom would need to be reinforced with stringers. For the seat tops and sides you would need to run the grain across the boat instead of the more convenient fore and aft.

The birch marine ply that I have seen was beautifully made but it was subtantially heavier than okume.

I have mused with building a lightweight Spindrift using 6 mm for the aft bottom 5mm 5ply for the fwd. bottom 4 mm for most of the rest but orienting the grain for optimum stiffness and a strategic stringer here and there, but I already have 3 Spindrifts and I wouldn't use it for class racing so I would rather use my time for other challenges.

Experimenting with making it as light as possible appeals to me, but I'll probably wait for the 6mm okoume and not experiment with the first one. I looked at the Edensaw chart, and the birch ply is heavier ... and since I plan to haul the Spindrift in my truck bed and beach launch it, I think going lighter with the proven 1/4" stuff is probably the better choice.

fshagan@ev1.net