While you guys are out having fun...

Guest Oyster

Guest Oyster

I have been slaving away at the mine. Of course when I left you with your funning, I have the round stern out of the confines of the closed up shed, slowly plugging along on that one, with the finish work, a little at a time, and have been working on the Simmons 22 pretty hard between the houshold chores this past month. As usual, I have been rummaging around the lumberyards, looking for scrap wood to help with the cleanup and see if I can recyle any valuable woods of late. Well I did find some wayward teak, split pretty badly, several pieces by the way. So I said I would clean it out before the safety inspector came by, and find some used for it at some point.

I did just that, in short order. Notice the pieces are accompanied by small resawn pieces at the top left of the horses. I was able to make two boards, one board 10 feet x 7 inches, and one board 9 feet x 6 inches. I resawed them to a fat 1/4 inche, sanded smoothe and then laminated the pieces to a 3/4" Meranti plywood pattern, in lieu of my original layup of one inch.

scrapteak.jpg

teaktransomroughend.jpg

This is my rough in of the new piece.

simmonsteaktransom.jpg

This is the Simmons planked up except for the sheerplank.

planked22.jpg

more to follow..

Guest Oyster

My new to me project, a simple fix, is awaiting in the wings, a recently aquired Dory, made in 2004 that has been sitting in the weather with little care, and will need some redoing on several planks.

NewImage.jpg

dorysideview1.jpg

seamcrackdory.jpg

Its amazing how in such a short time, these two issues can occur but not out of the realm of some tedious repair work and a bit of time, and it will be like new again. The boat is all clinch nailed construction with bronze fasteners.

rottenplankdory.jpg

So all you guys, feel free to keep those sails full in this beautifull time of year, and don't worry about me for one second. For I am not out rambling the streets and bars, but having my own form of fun. :lol:

[yes, spoken all together now, that guy is a sick puppy]

Alright now, Oyster, I had my vacation fun in April but I'm working working working now.

And you have to understand that we don't all know how to sniff out free wood and purty little dories :wink:

I like that when you're having fun you post pictures of beautiful sunsets on the water and tell everybody to remember what's important in life and when you're working like a dog you post more pretty pictures and make us all jealous of the work you're doing.

When I grow up I'm gonna be you :)

Guest Oyster

Well Ken, I am sure that these dog days of summer, for me, will indeed soon pass. But for now, no major sunsets seems to be in my crystal ball. Heck the one day we did get out, the moment we hit the water, we almost flipped when the crazies, combined with the increased winds. Maybe by middle of aug.with maybe the tall ship visit in July, we may hit the water together again. :(

Keep plugging away at yours and soon it will be ready for the water, not necessarily done though you know.

i am not having any fun --- at least not the boat kind of fun. Your new project is curious --- how does something get built and go to pot in such a short time??? is it the humidity out there? We don't have that here. My sister is moving to North Carolina -- my parents are likely to follow....she just spent 3 weeks in your parts and reported that it is lovely - she was in some place called the city of trees - in the interior (much nicer than the desert) ....

sorry to hear that you nearly flipped --- the same kind of crazies are out on the lake in these parts ---if i want to sail this summer without a bunch of motor boats and jetskis i have to travel...

keep on keepin' on....

a.

Guest Oyster

I would hate to tell you the story of this boat, including where this boat was built, and the venture of this boat before arriving in North Carolina. There is no rational reason for the condition of this boat, given the pedigree. The repair will require some time, and then I will send it on its way to live out its life probably at a local rowing club by donation. Now back to the mine.

• 2 weeks later...

Seriousl I do love the Simmons... and Mike does do bloody good work!! sorta makes one wonder why he doesnt do one for himself eh?

I couldnt give a fig for the dorys not my cuppa but the popsickle and the simmons? oooh mate!!!

As for sailin wasnt it you that sent me those beautiful pics of you and the loverly missus just whilin away sailin on some fine bay the other day Mike mmmmm???

Guest Oyster
Seriousl I do love the Simmons... and Mike does do bloody good work!! sorta makes one wonder why he doesnt do one for himself eh?

Keep wondering..........Why would anyone with a pile of junk not compound the problem by not repeating the process at the same poiint in time, elimnating the stress and strain of doing the same steup process basically twice over at a later date? As they say, misery loves company. :twisted: Gee I don't really know, come to think of it. More to come on my other double trouble. :wink:

doublesimmonstransoms.jpg

I will still need to refine the tops upon the step of the covering boards.

22ct. gold leaf name.

simmonsgoldleafname.jpg