Old outboard motor question

umop_apisdn

So I finally found a motor that is properly sized to my Weekender. It is an old Foremost 3.5, sold by JC Penny's back in the 60's. It has been in storage since the mid 60's, and looks to be in great shape, but I haven't tried to start it yet.

It appears to be air cooled, but I am not sure. The cylinder is all covered with fins like an air cooled motor, but there is also a small pencil sized tube that exits out the exhaust. After exiting the exhaust hole, the tube angles back so its opening faces the prop in such a way that the prop would tend to push water up this tube a bit.

I've never seen anything like it before, so I am wondering:

1) does anyone have any idea what this tube does? My guess is that this provides additional cooling when the motor is running hard.

2) can anyone point me to an internet resource for old or antique outboards?

3) The question I really want to know is, does this motor have a water pump that I need to inspect before running it. I am guessing not. I am guessing that at low speeds, it relys on air cooling. At high speeds, it replies on pressure from the prop wash to force water up this tube for additional cooling. But I'd rather not find out the hard way that there is a dead waterpump in there someplace.

Thanks,

Noel

i don't pretend to know anything about that old motor - but 2 strokes (outboards - that is) generally have a water pump behind the shaft of the prop but not quite inside the gear case. Usually it will look like a rubber star-ish thing with nubs that press against the housing and push water up a tube - and from there it goes around inside groves in the main case much like any motor. These little rubber pieces cannot possibly last 40 years in storage - it is a good idea to look behind the prop just before the actual gear case for a water pump and replace along with any gaskets or o-rings. As for the pipe sticking out of the exhaust - dunno --- post pictures. And remember - i'm just a girl.

a.

i didn't mean behind the shaft - i meant on the same shaft - ---

clearly there has to be a gear box at the bottom - it is likely that the piston/crank moves in the opposite direction of the prop (typical 2/stroke outboard set up) so- there is generally a drive shaft and a reduction case of some kind ---

a.

There is an antique outboard motor association, very active. Google antique outboard motors. Lots of information, classifieds, regional swap meets, etc.

Also, Duckworks (www.duckworksmagazine.com) has a guy who writes extensively on restorting/maintaining old outboards. The colums are archived on their website.

DocA

EBay has the motor parts catalog for sale: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pennys-Foremost-3-5-HP-Outboard-Motor-Parts-Catalog_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ26453QQitemZ4548921507QQrdZ1

You can always get it and see. I havn't seen that one but I have seen air cooled outboards, they are good for salt water. :D

there are air cooled outboards - but they are usually 4 strokes....the ancient 2 stroke was more often than not water cooled. if yours is water cooled (and it is easy enough to discover - take the prop off and then plate behind it - if there is a rubber impeller there you have a water cooled motor) anyway if it is water cooled all the rubber pieces will most likely need replacing. There is usually some kind of o-ring on the water pump housing...and then rubber pieces that fit on the bottom and top of the tube that sits inside the drive shaft housing...and check the tube for wear - some motor housings over time because of vibration when the motor is running will wear a hole in the tube...

a.

There is an antique outboard motor association' date=' very active. Google antique outboard motors. Lots of information, classifieds, regional swap meets, etc.

DocA[/quote']

Thanks. This had the information I need. My guess as to how it works was pretty much right, except the water tube only cools the exhaust shaft. The power head is 100% air cooled. No water pump to worry about. So this weekend I'll see if I can fire this thing up.

Thanks everyone,

Noel