Princess 28 model progress (slow)

Garry

Without someone like Joe the Deep Builder to help, my progress has been slow. Here is the progress so far.

I tried slicing the strip planking but had no luck. I found 1/8 x 1/8 x 36 balsa sticks used for construct model railroad bridges and ordered two bundles of 100. Should be here on Monday.

post-334-129497649879_thumb.jpg

post-334-129497649882_thumb.jpg

post-334-129497649886_thumb.jpg

post-334-12949764989_thumb.jpg

post-334-129497649894_thumb.jpg

Guest Joe, The Deep Boatbuilder

Well , I am interested.

I have never built big with mold boards like that having only experienced plyconstruction and strip planking small kayaks with mold boards.

So I am on it. Wes has been just too busy with finals and such and hasn't been able to have any time with me, so I am on it.

Getting to CA might pose a problem though. I mean I would be just fine in a small box traveling by U.S. Mail, but getting in the box, sealing it shut, and then transporting it to the Mail Box.... Well I haven't figured out that l;ast part yet. And, Wes has been tuning me out being too preoccupied.

So, email Wes, maybe he might listen to you and you could get him to take some time and package me for the trip.

Joe, your offer is GREATLY appreciated. :D I sent Wes a request to help you get out here. It would be great fun to work with you. I hope what I have done so far will live up to your standards.

I have one concern. To take a young man, even one of your obvious sophistication, from the "Middle of Nowheres! Iowa" and put him on the California coast may be a life-changing event. 8) Fortunately, Morro Bay is a fairly quiet little town so I hope you will enjoy your time here and be eager to head back home when the time is right. This won't be the Southern California that we see on the tube!

And, even though he may not always show it, I bet Wes, as well as the rest of the family, will miss you terribly. :cry:

You will really be a big help though. I'm afraid my clumsy fingers will make a mess of things. :oops: And you will be able to try out the interior for me.

Which brings me to Joe Nelson's question. I don't know what size the full scale strip planking will be yet. I believe the stations allow for 1" planking. For the model, I chose to use 1/8" x 1/8" even though that scales to about 1-1/2" in full scale. I was afraid the 3/32" x 3/32" strips would be too delicate for me (before I thought that Joe the D.B. might be helping me). :wink:

I have one concern. To take a young man' date=' even one of your obvious sophistication, from the "Middle of Nowheres! Iowa" and put him on the California coast may be a life-changing event. 8) :[/quote']

Totally Radical Dude!

Like Surf's up!

Garry,

The model is looking good. A round-bilged Princess! That's great!

I still haven't put the finishing touches on my P22 model... everything has been pushed aside for the kayaking season and dissertation stuff. Keep the pics coming... maybe your model will get me excited enough to finish mine!

:)

Yes, Wes, Let's finish the P-22.

Wes has it locked up out of reach. Afraid I am going to launch it in the bath tub without him.

Keeps mumbling something about the Tidy Bowl Man commercials from his youth.

Hi Garry, et al

I have plans for Princess 26 #7, but the P28 is closer to what I really want. I have been planning a similar electric propulsion installation for the 26. Haven't checked in with you guys in a while. I have been doing research on electric propulsion for the past year and hanging out on the Yahoo electric boats forum. Good forum with lots of practical experience and knowledge about things electric.

I have developed a fairly sophisticated mathematical model for designing and predicting the performance of electric propulsion systems for displacement hulls. It folows a logical process from estimating hull power requirements to modelling the power curve and current consumption of specified propellor, motor , drive train systems, to estimating runtime for various battery configurations. This model has been refined with real perfomance data from several converted boats so far, including a Catalina 27, an Islander 36, a 42' Fontaine Pajot charter cat and a 33' Italian gondola. It is tracking the performance of these boats within an accuracy range of +/-15%. Good enough to be useful as a practical planning tool.

If anyone on the B&B forum is interested in using this model I will be glad to email you the latest Excel spreadsheet version if you send me hull specs for your boat. All I ask in return is that you provide me actual performance data on your boat if you do an electric installation and that you keep the spreadsheet confidential as I am not ready to publish it.

This is still a work in progress. I am an audio engineer by trade, used to using mathematial models to accurately predict performance of commerical sound systems. It struck me one day that the underlying physics of high power sound systems and electric propulsion systems in boats are very similar. Both involve a power source modulated by an amplfier/controller, driving a transducer (speaker/motor-prop) coupled to a fluid medium (air/water.) This lead to a lot of fun research and development of the electric propulsion model.

David Rasberry

Greenville, SC

Just out of curiosity, how many amp hours of battery life (I'm thinking of the weight and where you would put it) is one going to need to outfit a Princess 28 as an electric boat, and how long will it run on a single charge? My guess is that for a boat of this size, it's in the range of several hours, so that more or less means this is going to be a sailboat, with the "engine" truely auxillary to the sails...getting one on and off the dock and maybe running a short distance against a foul current. No setting the autopilot at Norfolk and waking up in Deltaville. Unless one has a generator or some form of onboard charging, once your batteries go dead, that is where all motoring stops. From there on it's sails and oars.

Can the drive part be something like a really big trolling motor that can retract the prop out of the water? From a gasoline engine equivalent, how many foot pounds of thrust are generated....or what is the HP equivalent?

I ask, as I too am interested in the Princess 28, and if it's a viable alternative, I'd consider electric. I like the concept. But it's competition is going to be a 6 HP or 8 HP outboard in a well. Weighs about 100 pounds with full fuel tank that gives the boat a range of 75 to 100 miles under power (depending on the size of the fuel tank) and costs $1,500 to $2,000.

Capnrazz, I would love to play with your spreadsheet. I am a mechanical engineer and love to play with those kind of things. I will send you an email directly. I may already have it from the electric forum site unless you have updated it. I would also be interested if you have knowledge of the possiblity of using solar panels for charging recognizing their limitations.

PS - I lived in Seneca for three years working at the power plant there.

Howard, Yes, an electric drive will necessitate a loss in range but I think the Princess boats would be a great application because they are easily driven and trailerable. They will take little power to move at a reasonable speed resulting in more range vs battery capacity. Traileable means that we can avoid long runs down the Intercoastal Waterway etc by trailering the boat where we want to go.

I am comparing the use to the 28' cruising sloop I had in the 80s. I used the motor a lot (too much). There were long days on the ICW. Days where the wind wasn't "right" and I was lazy. Days where it was easier to power to windward rather than beat to windward. It was hard to justify taking 2 days to beat 30 miles upwind when I could power straight there in 6 hours. Like most cruisers, I used the boat as a motor-sailer; sail when convenient, power most of the time. But I look forward to the challenge of a true auxiliary; sailing most of the time, power only when necessary.

Lots of times, the motor was on "just in case" it was needed; coming through an inlet, under a bridge, anchoring, etc. With an electric motor, it is always ready for instant response. There is no need to warm it up and no concern about bad fuel shutting it down at the wrong time.

Mostly, I look forward to the quiet operation, reduced maintenance, and readily available power. I have a loong way to go on this. Since I don't plan to build for some time, I will take my time and also hope that there are improvements and price redcutions available when I'm ready.

Check out the previous thread "Princess 28 accommodations layout" for more details. There is a sketch of my proposed installation and more details: http://www.messing-about.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4547&sid=208b8b6fe59fa162bbf1f3901484a3ae

Joe,

Sorry you can't make it out right now. Of course, I understand. You gotta finish one boat before you start another. No telling how long mine will take anyway. Could be years.

Actually, I'm the kind of guy who likes to do things on my own anyway. Whenever two creative types like you and me work together, there is always a great potential for conflict just from different points of view. I will apprecaite your comments as I post my progress here. I would like to get you to check it out when finished though!

Take care,

Garry