Jibsheets

kydocfrog

I'll look to see if I have some piectures showing the jib sheet lead but I just put a block at the base of the forward shrouds with a quick link. It seems to be in a decent spot for the lead. Then they go back to a cam cleat on the side deck a little past the cabin bulkhead.

Here's mine -

log0185.jpg

I use jib sheets with my lapper. Of course you can't use a club foot when the clew of the sail comes behind the mast. I still use the club foot with my standard jib. This fairlead was place by experimentation. I set up the lapper in my driveway and moved the sheet around with different headings until I found the best spot for it to come in. A movable track would be nice if I had more sails, but I don't plan any more. And I also have this little fetish about trying to use only hand made parts. The lines follow back to another fairlead next to the combrail and then to a jam cleat. The block you see is for the jib sheet when I use the club foot.

I love my lapper, in low wind and heavy, however I don't like to single hand it in heavy. I don't have enough hands and time to adjust the jib sheet on the lee side of the boat, hold the main and steer. When I begin to heal significantly and my ballast is all wrong on the lee side, I often have to hold the jib sheet to be able to sail at all. This is just too tricky and not fun. I remember one storm that came up sudden where I had to do this. In conditions like these I prefer to take it a little easier and use the club foot.

Dave, I don't see how you can get proper sail shape with that block where it is. I think I'm not seeing the fore end of the sheet. Where is the main point of attachment for the sheet on the boat?

Phil - I quite like the look of those fairleads - do you have any notes on how you made them or attached them?

Andrew - they are made from scrap mahogany. I think 4/4. First drilled then shaped on my sanding table (just a belt sander held down). Then edges routed with a roundover bit - I hate sharp corners on anything on a boat. The hole was routed with a larger bit to lessen rope abrasion. The ones in the photo are screwed in from underneath the deck. Ones you can not see are countersunk and bolted in from above.