Belhaven

lol- The trimaran I lived aboard was painted a quite bright yellow. My kid used to go around singing -

"we all live in a yellow trimaran, a yellow trimaran, a yellow trimaran"

:lol:

It IS sorta bright, but you won't have to worry about getting run over cause they didn't see you right?

Guest Oyster

Since viewing the boat shot the first time, I can't get out of my head a beautiful varnished toerail, running the full length of the sheer, accenting the lines and will also cool down some of that drastic change from building, priming and now a topcoat of the color of your choice. We are all waiting with great anticipation, of some creek water splashing along side of the hull.!!!!!!!

Speaking of toe rail :roll: I was planing on that running from the anchor locker to just past the cabin where you will step out to go forward. Also with a break in it where the cleat will be mid ship. Of course the rub rail will run the length of the craft.

Hand rails on the cabin top. Trim along the coaming should about do it.

The Beckson ports have their own white trim rings.

Got the masts ordered today. I haven't decided wether to buy sail track or make it yet. I am planning to fill the masts with foam 8 foot at a time. Any thoughts on that or tips?

Scott

Garry I thought about that. But I was concerned about all of the holes that would have to be sealed. The top and bottom, the sail track mounting holes, lock down pin and the pivot pin.

On another subject. What is the proper way to line up the hand rails on the cabin? Should they run parallel with the center line or run with the angle of the cabin sides? How far in from the side?

Scott

Scott; the following website shows handrails I built for Pilgrim out of 2" mahogany. They were too thick to bend, so I installed them on an angle to each other, as you can see. I just placed them on the cabin top until I liked the location and installed them there. They work really good and offer a large degree of safety and comfort when going forward. I set them far enough inboard to give me a good angle when holding on to them. I istalled them using 1/4" ss bolts.

There are a ton of pictures of Pilgrim under sail on this website if you are interested.

http://www.votaw.org/gallery/Sailing-at-BOOTS-Planning-meet-Texoma-APR-06/04_25_06_Pilgim_nicely_making_way

I filled my masts with foam Noodles. They were a little to big for my mast size so I just sawed them into quarters or eights depending on which section of the mast they were going into. I just used a jig saw to cut them.

The top of my mast is birds mouth fir sealed at both ends which are shown in a previous post.

Scott

I love that color. Seeing your boat has made me decide to paint my CS 20 the same color. I think I will go with a yellow hull and a light tan inside and on the deck.

Of course, I have another reason to paint the boat yellow :lol:

post-523-129497649671_thumb.jpg

Dale I have been looking at those noodles everytime I'm in wally world.

Travis I made mine from some 5/4 mahogany planned to around 1 inch. I need to order some bronze screws to bolt them on with.

I'm trying to get all of the trim and hardware ready to mount at once. It said on the tube of 4200 that once its opened to use it in 24 hours.

The masts tubes arrived so I can start messing with them.

Noklin I have been dry fitting the trim and bronze hardware as I go and it really sets the paint off. The yellow is Kirbys shaw yellow. You won't fine a nicer bunch to deal with or talk to.

Scott

It said on the tube of 4200 that once its opened to use it in 24 hours.

I have had tubes that were hard, right off the shelf. Others that lasted the 24 hours. Others yet that have lasted 2 months. I found an easy way to clean up the excess is the degreaser/decal remover from West Marine. They recommended it, I am sure there are other solvents availble also. This stuff isn't a petroleum base and easy on the nose. ;)

• 8 years later...

Hi Scott,

Your Belhaven sits in "winter quarters" - my driveway in Seattle covered with a blue tarp and undergoing minor work while it rains, rains, rains.  I'm staying with the yellow color as it has grown on me and the family likes it.  Little projects so far have been a new hatch cover for the anchor locker, slightly revised mizzen sheeting, a standing block for the mainsail snotter that improves tension, and flush mounting the radio to gain more cockpit seating.  I also built a real stairway with a landing for getting safely in and out of the boat while on the trailer.  

I'll be back on the water New Years Day and will post photos if I can figure out how to do it. 

Plans are to replace the rear hatches with the standard watertight design, refinish the bright work and spend my summer sailing Puget Sound.

Thanks for building such a cool boat.