Outboard Well or Pod Mounted

Gunkee

I'm in the process of building a 22' cabin boat. I have decided it will be powered by an outboard motor of around 150 to 200 HP, I am interested in other people's comments and opinions on whether the O\B should be mounted on a Pod bolted to the transom or mounted direct to the transom with a O\B well. And which method would the boat preform best at. Thanks Alastair. :?

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know about the design you are building, but my dad built an 18 ft. "cabin cruiser" when I was a kid. It was powered by a 25 horse elgin short shaft motor. The transom was too high so he had an engine mount built on the transom to hang the motor on. The turning radius was not as tight as if the motor were hung on the transom but other than that it performed well.

What design are you building? Seems like a lot of hp for 22' but don't know what boat it is your talking about. The weight of the motor may decide the issue for you. Hanging say a 200hp motor on a bracket aft of the transom might tend to help balance out the boat compensating for the weight.

If the boat and or transom is beafy enough to handle the weight then it might be a bit cleaner that way. If so, then a dry well would be a good choice.

Are you considering any type of kicker and where is that going to mount if so?

Gary

I agree that 200hp sounds like a lot for 22'. These motors are very heavy and the placement will certainly have a large effect on the balance. It must be considered in the design of the boat to be properly balanced. Adding weight to the bow to compensate is a sure indication that the boat was not designed properly and further reduces performance in fuel economy, low speed planing and handling.

The pods have some good points but I think they are mostly a fad and also have disadvantages. The transom must be built stronger (heavier) and the pod weight adds to that. They have a tendency to ventilate in waves more and take up more length docking, trailering and storing. The idea that they give more cockpit room is bogus. The real length of the boat has to include the engine so if it is on the transom, there will be more room in the cockpit than with a pod if the overall length is the same.

Hi guys, thanks for the replies to my question, your input has been greatly noted. The hull design is a Hartley Marksman 22, she is a 15 degree double ply planning hull. Richard Hartley himself sways more towards twin outboards, so this is another option I can consider. I have :) no idea at the moment on what H/P I need so any ideas from you guys out there would be greatly appreciated.

Gunkee, If you can come up with an approximate weight , one general rule of the thumb is 25 to 40 lbs/hp. The 40lbs/hp would be the minimum.

There are some new high tech two strokes that give you good hp and economy such as Evinrude's ETEC . These motors weigh less than the four strokes.

Gary