Electric motors

kydocfrog

Doc, mine is a 47 lb thrust motor and it works pretty well even in windy conditions. Last summer I had to run about 5 miles down the lake into a pretty strong head wind to beat a storm. I did it in about an hour. This was with the sails down but I thought it was nice to have the power.

I've seen a lot of 35# thrust units being used on boats both heavier and larger than the Weekender with good results on lakes or calm water areas.

If getting there in a hurry is a primary concern, then an electric isn't what you want. If you are not in a big hurry, and don't have a lot of currents or wind to deal with then you really don't have to spend a lot on an electric with more thrust than about 35#. There are generally a lot of them on e-bay at some pretty good prices. Some brand spankin' new.

I would spend any additional on a second battery before getting a more powerful unit. Then you have a much longer use cycle. And putting both of them in the forepeak will make a positive difference in how the Weekender handles.

You can get by with a mid size 12 VDC model which will be in the upper 20 to mid 30 pounds of thrust range. It will lack punch in a good chop, but most folks don't sail small craft in an uncomfortable chop. If you expect to need the punch to get over contrary currents, chop and winds then select one of the upper end 12 volt units which will provide 35 to over 45 pounds of thrust.

Ray's correct, the electric trolling motor is designed to "troll" and the fastest you need for that is around 3 knots. Some manufactures and some independent suppliers are producing "hotter" props for the more common brands. This may get an extra knot of speed for you.

There are (at least there was a few years ago) a "ducted" prop (prop inside a hoop or ring looking thing) which would increase the prop's efficiency. You could add a duct to a motor (not attached to the prop) and it would have similar effects, but would involve some engineering on the fly. The ducted prop keeps "wash out" contained, rather then flying off the tips of the prop blades and focuses it directly aft, into the main body of the prop wash. The increase in efficiency is dramatic enough to warrant most every new ship design (cruise ship to tug boat) incorporates it into their drive systems. It also has the side benefits of being much less foul prone, lays down a cleaner, flatter wake, protects the blades and doesn't disturb the vegetation or bottom in shallow water (a real plus in environmentally sensitive areas).

I use a 43 pound 12 VDC unit on a 2,300 pound 24' sailer and have little difficulty with it. I don't motor sail with it, but it has brought me home when the wind dies. The weekender is about half that displacement in cruising trim, so a 25 for limited use/conditions or bigger as you see the need. You can always run a 35 pounder at 2/3's power, but you can't ask a 25 to give you more then it's windings will provide. I'd error on the 35 pound side rather then the 25 for that reason.

I have a 35# thrust minn kota 3 speed with a 12 volt battery. Last october I went sailing at one of our lakes in Idaho called CJ strike its part of the snake river, on that day I motored out of the marina we had light winds lifted the motor started sailing later on that afternoon we were all the way across the other side of the lake up in the channel about 2+ miles away from the marina the wind stoped and I mean no wind at all dead in the water, so we sat their for a while had a snack trying to see if the wind would start blowing again but nothing so I put the motor down put it on speed 2 and made our way back to the marina it pushed us about 2-3 knots didnt take long to get back just pointed the boat for the marina and kicked back it worked great.

I've got a Minn Kota #35 too. A few weeks ago I went to Annapolis with my boat, and the boat launch was a few miles up the Spa Creek, which is narrow and nearly windless (at least it was that day). The motor did fine but I found it to be excruciatingly slow. This also may have to do with my battery. On the way back after I went through the drawbridge (which was where the wind stopped and the motoring started), I switched to my other battery and vastly improved my speed. Still not that fast, I am pondering getting a gas outboard so my auxillary power is not teathered to my lighting.