Progress on my Spindrift 11

Gunkee

Just thought I would show you the progress on my Spindrift 11. The wifes hardly seen me for weeks, and said to get my attention she needs to wear a sign saying 'BOAT'......well I am really building two. The other is a Hartley Marksman 22 Cabin boat, which is waiting for ply to finish the hull (only a couple of feet on the flared bow to go). The Spindrift has been great fun to build so far, after the more complicated Hartley . It's taken so little time with the stitch & glue method to get close to the same stage. My biggest problem (after the complaining wife that is) is space in the garage, I wouldn't dare show a photo of the chaos...2 boats in progress in one double garage. Anyway this is where I'm at- see photo, Cheers Alastair.

post-687-12949764806_thumb.jpg

post-687-129497648065_thumb.jpg

Hi Scott, thanks for your interest in my Marksman. I've added some photos to look at. I have been working on the project for about 3 years now, it has come to a short halt while I raise more cash to aquire the plywood for the next stage, so the Spindrift takes centre stage till that happens. Richard Hartley's Classic boats have been a bit of an icon in New Zealand and the South Pacific for the past 50 years or more. I also have plans in the future when I have completed the marksman and spindrift to build the bigger brother of Hartley's famous TS 16, a 18' Trailer Sailer. I havn't learnt to sail just yet but that should change with the spindrift, plus we can still get out and troll for trout on the beautiful lakes we have here in Southland.

Alastair.

post-687-129497648462_thumb.jpg

post-687-129497648464_thumb.jpg

post-687-129497648466_thumb.jpg

I really like the Hartley trailer sailers. In fact I was nearly ready to buy the plans for the 24 footer when I ran across B&B Yachts designs.

I had a hard time choosing between the Princess and Belhaven. But since I would be sailing alone 75% of the time, the Belhaven fit best for me.

But I did a lot of study on the Hartley boats. There are some sailing web sites for the Hartleys. For some reason the Hartleys never caught on in the states very well, but down in your part of the world they are very well tried.

I was talking to Arch Davis one day about a trailer sailer and asked him if he new anything about Hartley boats. He told me that he actually worked for or with Hartley years ago. He also said that they were fine boats.

Scott

Alastair,

Good to see your progress on the Spindrift and the Hartley. I finished a Spindrift 10N almost two years ago and have been enjoying it since. She is a fine boat and works really well with a motor, rowing or sailing. Your 11 looks like it is coming along well.

The Hartley appears to be a little bigger than the 18' trailer sailer that I built almost thirty years ago. I really liked that boat. It was just what we needed for sailing with a new baby in South Florida.

Good luck with your boats!

Steve

Hi Steve, what design was your wee 18' sailer that you built?. We have some very good designers over here in New Zealand, but alas in my opinion anyway they are more to the GRP contruction than with the old traditional timber + plywood way. All the timber on the spindrift so far has been recycled except the plywood sheets for the hull. I found it cost me an arm and a leg to get the wood machined to size for the frames and stringers and so on for the Marksman, so I bought an a Ryobi thicknesser and do my own machining. So for every piece of wood I now put through it helps pay for the machine. I have made the centre board out of a old Rimu bed frame it's worked well.

Alastair.

post-687-129497648617_thumb.jpg

post-687-129497648621_thumb.jpg