Running Rigging Deals

Craig

Are there any? The time has come to finish rigging the tops'l and cutter rig for my boat and I am looking for something a bit less $$ than West Marine. Everyone seems to be the same price. Are rigging materials fair trade items or have the manufacturers all decided what the price is going to be? Even the cheap stiff is the same price as Harkin.

You might try the chandlery at Duckworks.

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/hardware.htm

Also I've found some good cordage pricing from the following with excellent service.

http://www.thechandleryonline.com//product.asp?dept%5Fid=901&pf%5Fid=151%5FREB47060300

You also might try Jamestown Distributors. Frank seems to really like them.

For Stainless fittings, etc.

http://www.bosunsupplies.com/products2.cfm?product=S0163

I've also found some pretty good prices at Glen-L.com

Purchasing from West Marine thru the link above helps Frank with this site.

this is an expensive habit - i spent 54 bucks on 2 blocks and a cam cleat tonight and something like 85 bucks on shackles and dacron for my reef points.....i need more line too but GEEEEz - i need more money going into the bank account and less going out.

I can't wait to see your new rig Craig....

a.

Guest Oyster

Incredible place, but I have not seen any websites that addresses the jewels found in this place.

PIER 17 MARINE INC

4619 ROOSEVELT BLVD (904) 387-4669

JACKSONVILLE, FL 32210

Whatever you do, do not have limited amount of time when visiting this site, especially in person. :shock:

http://www.sailorman.com/newsailor/base/index.php

Toll-Free

1-800-523-0772

Phone

(954) 522-6716

Fax

(954) 760-7686

Craig,

I'm not up on my nautical terms, but "running rigging" includes the cordage itself, right? Well, if it's line ye need... For my little 14' Pocket Cruiser, I bought double-braid polyester ropes from http://www.coastalmarineonline.com

They have a "bulk rope" section where you can order a variety of colors, sizes, etc. As I recall, I was able to buy cordage for significantly cheaper there, though that was last year and I may have taken advantage of special deals (I don't recall). Not sure how their prices stack-up at present. The rope was pretty nice, though I'm not sure if it's as sophisticated as the ultra-hi-tech cordage you can get other places. It certainly does the trick and looks nice though on my PC.

One reservation: I remember they messed up the thickness of a particular rope twice. Both times, they re-sent the rope without fuss, and finally, on the third try, it was the correct rope.... free of charge, without asking me to send back the first two incorrectly-sized ropes, which turned out to make handy utility rope for other things on the boat. It was irritating at the time, but handled satisfactorily. Can't really speak to how great their service/prices are at present.

I always try to catch a sale on this stuff, but the timing often doesn't work out.

One thing to consider on a small boat is the type of block you are using. Everyone is in love with ball bearing blocks, but for my Weekender, I used Wichard sleeve bearing blocks for the halyards. About half the price and some argue a better choice for a halyard than a ball bearing block. I got mine at Hamilton Marine in Maine (was there on a visit).

I used Harkin ball bearing blocks for the sheets, as the smooth action there is really appreciated. Expensive, but I thought it was worth it. For my line, I did catch a few sales at West Marine and that saved me money.

I see more and more articles about fancy velcro and "small stuff" cordage arranged a certain way and patented for use by racers. These things are mega bucks and used for lashing blocks on rather than using a shackle. The new small 1/8" line is strong enough to serve that purpose on a small boat's boom or sprit with just a quick refresher on how to tie it so it doesn't come loose (I keep my copy of Rigger's Apprentice handy for this).

There are a lot of "hi tech" lines available for the running rig, but most is of little value to the average sailor, this is particularly true of gaff rigged craft. I do a number of rigs per year and often have to talk an owner out of 1/8" super low stretch halyards or whatever. Stripped core, Kevlar, parallel core, hi tech materials can't be used to much advantage in most cruising applications.

A single braid or the spun polyester three strand will look the best on traditional yachts and cost less too. A standard double braid is easier to handle and runs through blocks better then the three strand and performs fine on non-racing boats.

Many racers are replacing wire halyards with light weight line and changing out larger lines to smaller diameters to save weight and windage aloft. A reasonably new trend is to use hi tech lines, on blocks, booms or other locations where a shackle, bail or other metal attachment was used. This is again to save weight. The new lines, offered by the major manufactures, are very strong, rivaling steel, low stretch and much lighter then the metal it replaces.

Lines should be selected for their use, then the comfort level in the hand. A halyard or topping lift is used relatively little, so you can live with a smaller diameter, for what ever reason, but sheets are handled a lot, so these lines need to be comfortable in your hand. I personally like 1/2", finding 3/8" to small to hold without cramping up. I also prefer the "fuzzy" stuff for the same reason, it's comfortable (good friction on a winch too), though doesn't run through blocks as smoothly as the cleanly finished lines do.

Guest Oyster
There are a lot of "hi tech" lines available for the running rig, but most is of little value to the average sailor, this is particularly true of gaff rigged craft

As a side note, I dealt with three stranded lines for too many years in the motor yacht industry when pricing out double braided lines for dock lines. I finally gave in and would purchase nothing less that the double braided strings for even my smaller boats. The point being is I still have line that I purchased for my 16 footer in 1985 and it still works for small tying, even though its a bit shorter now and still soft. You never know if you get a frey in the line, you can always shorten it and use it somewhere else at another date or time, rendering expensive line cheap over the long haul.

Craig, West Marine is selling off some of its hard to sell and pricey stuff now for 50 percent off. If you tell them you want a bulk, at least in my world, I did much better, almost 25 percent better. It's after inventory time here. 8)