past members, time for a check in and update

Guest Oyster

Guest Oyster

Steve Day, Adla, Jan, Johanna, Mike Donlin, Timtone, Dingo [boat progress] the fellow with the diving gear, Alaskan fleet, and the transplanted Alaskan to the mainland? feel free to add other MIAs

New lurkers, if you are building, thinking about building, purveyor of numerous boat plans of the wooden or wood-composite types, and plotting building, join up and join us, and sing us your own song.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think maybe Mr Oyster's been sailing while the rest of us have been reading :)

Too bad about the weather Saturday, Oyster - It turns out I made 3 entirely different plans for Saturday ranging from the mountains to the piedmont to the coast. The weather stopped us from sailing so I went the easy route and also cancelled my mountain plans - I'm staying home and getting boat work done in the piedmont.

Ok - here is the update.

Morgaine and I spent the day together...

I removed the boom, the gaff jaws and the mast. I took her windows out and finally cleaned up the mahogany portholes from the initial epoxy job. I fixed her steering problem: the tiller stub on the rudder box split, so I epoxied it back together, drilled the holes out larger than necessary and set the eyebolts with the little harken blocks in epoxy...sanded the rudder box and have it ready for paint and the mahogany stub ready for varnish. Her keel stub in the rear was splitting....the wood got wet and the weldwood glue didn't hold in that one spot... - so, I fixed it with Epoxy/404 filler. I sanded the wheel down and oiled it...it is ready for varnish. I planned the mast - it was really sloppy from the original circular saw experience in the rush to launch. It is now planned smooth and the corners rounded with the router...re-stained and ready for varnish. I am surprised how light the mast is since it is a 4x4 - it has lost a tremendous amount of weight and I can single hand it now :shock: go figure. I have the sails folded and put away (no time to think about reef points yet) And all the halyards/sheets have been removed and washed (in the washer) and are clean/folded ready to go.

I still need to: Varnish the mast and paint the tip white. Dip the spreader in plastic stuff and re-attach with lock nuts. Replace all the quick links with the twisted ones to relieve the tendancy to lock up when raising the sail. Cut new windows. Sand/varnish the grabrails and the bowsprit...finish the main hatch so that it slides and is more permanently attached. Bevel the mouth of the gaff jaws and put leather there. Repaint the topside - with highgloss. Make new lead eyes out of mahogany. Sand the mast stub and refinish. Make a new boom crutch and close the lazarette. I also need to make a lid for the box in the cabin and start thinking about the interior...and there is one more scupper to cut...and OH YES - splash coamings....

my boat isn't done.....I've been deluded.

a.

make fun if ya want Barry - all i could think yesterday was "why can't i get a single thing done!"

hehehe

the repair on the stem is done. needs sanding and sum paint.

topsides almost completely repainted.

mast epoxied...sanded and ready for varnish

Owner - tired....but crazy about her boat!

a.

"done" is out of the question...it only got worse today as i pulled the mast stub out - removed the front hatch and all the cleats, eyebolts, and camcleaty things....painted painted painted and cleaned up the rubrails, the grab rails and the portholes....i hope to put her back together soon :shock: :roll: :shock:

All this for some glossy paint..i am not going to paint the topside again for a while....no, just touch up but this whole paint the entire topside over stuff is for the birds. I'm covered in paint and sunburnt (although it was cold - there is that little detail of harsh winter sunlight here) .... and pooped.

a.

I'm still here. Wish I could say I was making progress on my weekender, but....I have some new duties at work. Been traveling every week since December. I did get some time last week. I made up the parts for one of the interior shelves. I have off 03/23 ,24 ,25, 26, and 27. I should be able to get some quality time in the shop then! Still hope to be on the water this summer. (thats my story and I sticking with it!)

joel (the one from gig harbor)

Guest Oyster

mrthethird, thats a nice bunch of extra work there. 8) Nice to see several come out of the woodwork, indeed. There are some quality projects,,silently, taking place from the group here.

I got the Dr.'s OK to get back to work on my Weekender. Found a nice quiet place to work on it on Whidby Island. Small but should be adequate to finish up the project. I started tearing out the cockpit seating that I had installed. I decided I would rather have more leg/foot room and open space below the seats. So....out it comes. I'll get the area cleaned up and then lay out some slat seating in there instead. Once that is fabricated, I'll pull it out and glass the cockpit interior, deck, cabin and topsides. Then flip it to do the bottom and paint the hull, install a sacrificial strip on the bottom and leading edge of the keel. Flip it back upright and get the trailer set to match it. Then the finish work on the deck, topsides and cockpit. Get some rioging on it and take it sailing. The rest of the finish work can come between trips out on the water. Been waiting a long time to be able to get back to work on finishing up and I'm so excited about it I can hardly sit still.

Here is the stage it is at.

post-26-129497647712_thumb.jpg