past members, time for a check in and update

Guest Oyster

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The kids have had a great time with it.....now they all want it :roll:

Maybe they can talk their folks into bidding to win.

You're right Barry.....that is kinda....well...Blue. (they picked the color too!) I did leave the masking tape on the rubrails. I hope they left it there. I'll take a picture of the finished project at the auction Saturday. Everyone keep their fingers crossed for me that it does well for the fundraiser......Hmmm, that could be pretty embarassing if it doesn't do so well. :oops:

Nah.....it was a fun project and all about the kids. Not much of a downside to that.

Larry

Guest Oyster

WOW, very nicely done and vey noble on your part. Thanks for the shots of the final touches. I hope to have a couple of pictures from the trip of several boats, but did not get them all, as I spent a bit too much time wandering through the grass flats with my own for a week. Now I will have to work double time to catch up on my own projects, as warm weather and fishing season is almost here for us. 80 degrees and sunny, little humidity. Spring is finally here for us. 8)

ps. ouch, now where is my Solarcaine??? Must run out and get some more. :twisted:

Welcome back, Oyster.

Hmm, speaking of the Bahamas... The countdown has reached t-minus thirteen days :D I'll post photos on my return.

But as of today I finally have access to a digital camera - In keeping with the thread I'll post a CS17 pic or two tomorrow.

Ok.....here's the lowdown on the auction. The dinghy went for $700 :( ....but the guy who bought it told me he was prepared to pay more for it. Anyway, it still brought more than any other item on auction, and my own 3rd grader (bottom right in picture) thanked me for making her "famous" :D .

The cheap canoe that I donated brought a winning bid of $400.

The principal told me the other night they didn't have the final numbers but the auction probably netted the school about $24k.

Here's what its all about:

ef883e8d.jpg

Wow! It sounds like you did great with the auction and grabbed the so-much-more-important title of cool dad! (The best I can hope for is cool uncle, which I'm sure is much easier to attain due to the non-constant exposure of my flaws.)

It's good to see that the kids do a better finish job on their boat than I do on mine :)

Oyster - I have been trying to get a usable photo of my project since my last post. I've been daunted so far by either camera communication issues or bad lighting. Hopefully I'll be able to snap a photo or two tomorrow before the storms are upon us. If only boat photography was a easy as boat building... I really AM going to post photos as soon as I am able.

Hi everyone. Ran into Dave on a woodworking forum, and he said I should check in. I have been quite busy the last two years. My poor weekender has been neglected but at least it has a nice home under a real boat shed now instead of a tarp. It needs a new paint job on the deck and cockpit. for some reason the paint decided to bubble in a few places, so I am just going to strip it off and go with a two part paint. Also it needs a new mast (original one is warped). I plan to make a square hollow one.

My son in law and I built a 600 square ft deck last summer, and I am building a gazeebo on one end of it. I am just waiting for it to stop raining to finish the painting and roof. This spring I am in the process of turning the garage into a full time wood shop. My husband gave up his side of the garage (more like he got crowed out) :) I painted the floor(to cover up the huge boat building mess), put in a 10 ft bench and am installing a cyclone dust collector system (Clearvue). Had to address the dust problem before doing any more woodwork (asthma). Busy Busy Busy.

post-263-129497648629_thumb.jpg

Guest Oyster

What a great story on the boats. Keep in mind that most folks compare prices of small craft to the stamp outs from the corner plastic dealers, when considering what its worth and never realize how much thought and work that goes into these projects. But the kids memories, of this project, will last forever, or in some other folks words, are seared in their minds forever. You have also planted a few more seeds of this bug known as backyard boat building.

Welcome back Jan, and nice job on your dust system, and don't be a stranger. Anyone else heard from Johanna now?

This spring I am in the process of turning the garage into a full time wood shop. My husband gave up his side of the garage (more like he got crowed out) :) I painted the floor(to cover up the huge boat building mess)' date=' put in a 10 ft bench and am installing a cyclone dust collector system (Clearvue). Had to address the dust problem before doing any more woodwork (asthma). Busy Busy Busy.[/quote']

Let us know how you like the Clearvue after you get it installed. I nearly pulled the trigger this winter, and in fact even ordered a 2hp Dust Gorilla from Oneida Air Systems, but then cancelled the order (new grandson reordered the priorities a bit!) I really like the Clearvue idea, but wanted something more "plug and play". But when I get back to thinking about dust collection, I'll reconsider the Clearvue unit.