Lapstrake constructed boats

Greg Luckett

Now that I have begun to learn how to build a lapstrake boat in boat building class, it looks like I need to build another one on my own to cement the learning a bit more. I am thinking of an Iain Oughtred 'Puffin' http://grahamsboats.fotopic.net/c67025.html or an Atkin Vintage http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Dinks/Vintage.html.

Opinions and/or advice? :)

Just send Iain Oughtred a check for $120 plus a little something for postage and I'm sure he'll get the plans out to you. You might have to pester him to caash the check though.

Address is:

Iain Oughtred

Struan Cottage

Bernisdale

Isle of Skye IV51 9NS

Scotland

Or order them from either http://www.classicmarine.co.uk or http://www.duckflatwoodenboats.com

Good point Ray. :D He sometimes does that, too.

When I wrote to him asking for a catalog he wrote back in pencil saying he was about to have a new catolog. He sent copies of a few different plans with some handwritten notes on them. Later he sent me a brand new catalog. I'd much rather send him the money directly than pay a middle man to handle it.

I received my plans for the Caledonia Yawl and Iain's book, last week. After only getting to study the plans for two days, I had to take and emergency trip up north to Fairbanks. Argh!

I didn't even get to visit Mark and Family :oops: Too much stress pulling off this last pirate raid, but my mission was accomplished with flying colors.

However, I am now finally back home, and my plans are still layed out the way I left them. I think the skull and cross bones I left on my office door kept my Wife and her house keeper out. :lol:

I'm ready to attempt the challenge too. First the strong back then the molds. I probably won't start the stim, keelson and planking until after May though. My garage is attached to the house and the dang central air intake is in the garage. Idiot builder! My Wife would kill me if I even tried to mix epoxy. :(

I'm glad I'm just renting this place.

I like Iain's book, it covers a lot of building techniques and helpful construction hints.

I ordered the plans from WB, not Iain himself. I later learned from Nick Grainger's site that Iain sold plans himself. There are some great links here too.

http://www.mavc2002.com/cyforum/index.php

Iain sales a seven plank set of plans for $200, WB's four plank set is $150. And it only took five days to recieve them and $8 shipping. The shipping included the Clinker Plywood Boatbuilding Manual too.

I was a little irritated at myself, at first, I'll admit, for not doing enough research. But then I realized the KISS principle might not be a bad idea. I'll stick to the four plank build for starters. What comes later, we will just have to see.

The WB plans for the CY look fairly extensive, although I am not thrilled with the idea of poking holes in the full patern set to lay out the molds. I am working on tracing out the mold paterns instead.

Now planking, and scarfing, woo-doggy! I found John Brooks and Ruth Hill's book, How to Build Glued Lapstake Wooden Boats very instructive, also. The plans do not have full patern sets for this, it is a fit as you go deal. However, his book does explain how-to, with ways to make your own patterns and jigs for scarfing.

I love the Grey Seal, myself.

Mike

Greg, I ordered a catalog from him but haven't settled on a boat yet. I do have a set of plans for his Feather Pram.

Mike, I hope you'll keep us informed as you build the Caledonia Yawl. It's a very nice looking boat. I saw one last spring at our Messabout. It was sweet.

I know Iain has redrawn some of his more popular boats in the last couple of years. I think he made some improvements. It is likely that you got a copy of the older plans from WB. You could probably figure out the spacing for seven planks if you want when you loft the boat.

Actually, if you write to Iain he might send you the updated pages.

MIke- you might be able to mix that epoxy if you'd use MAS :D

John Harris ( CLC) and I finally decided it smelled like cherry cough syrup- MUCH better aroma than WEST :lol:

Actually , small quantities such as you'd use for gluing up pieces have little or no smell. I just notice it when coating large surfaces, and then MAS really smells pretty good.

Of course this green horn never heard of MAS. :roll:

Any hints what the MAS initials stand for or a link? :wink:

I appreciate the advice Charlie, I really would like to glue up the stem and transome. Waiting two months, would definitely put the cramps on my new project.

And of course, Dave, I wouldn't be able to help but make progress reports. :lol:

I've been going nuts without a NEW project. Oh sure, I have plenty of little things that I could do on the Vacationer. And I do have plenty to do to get ready for our spring mess-about in Homer. Although only Admiral Mark has confirmed so far. We are going to miss the AS You Wish and her AWOL Skipper John M. And Jerry should be gettting back to me soon.

Mike

I often frequent Boaters World, since they have about the best prices locally on general boating supplies. They have carried the MAS brand for a couple years and I have been interested. However, I still have some System 3 left for fixup use, so I haven't tried it. It's nice to be able to buy quantities locally.

http://www.boatersworld.com/

Guest Oyster

Anyone at the ripe old age of CJ that is still able to smell types of resin, is very lucky, indeed. But I highly recommend to one and all that even the ones that are not doing a smell taste on resins, may still be doing themselves harm internally from this practice. Don't make me go back and pull up the harmfull mixes in the blending of epoxies.

At the worse case scenerio, if you live to tell other about the types of smell, you may indeed begin to look like me one morning and wonder why. Now thats a scary thought. :shock:

Then you would be required to resort back to wooden boats only.

So this is this week's warning, again, use a respirator, especially in the wintertime.. Now back to your regular schedule layups.

post-0-129497647477_thumb.jpg