My trip to Port Townsend

John Turpin

Below is a link to a webpage with some photos of my trip to Port Townsend and vicinity. What a great trip it was. I spent several days prowling boat yards, boat shops and other fun places. Special thanks goes out to our own Captain Jake and Joel for showing me around.

Warning--only attempt this webpage if you have broadband. There are many large photos here.

http://teamturpin.org/john/pt_trip.htm

Glad you had a good trip to this area. You hit some of the best of the Northwest and can see why we love it here so much for sailing and cruising. The talent represented in this area is second to none anywhere in the world. More eye candy here than a flatlander could begin to understand without seeing it in person.

Yes, just hold onto your wallet, cuz it is easy to just keep on picking up things and they all add up quickly.

Very cool pictures! 8)

I had forgotten that 'Second wave' is actually 'Dunato's'. That is a favorite of mine (my wife hates it though. ;) ).

Looks like you had a great tour of the foundery. I need to do that some time in the near future.

Pictures of Devlin's shop haven't changed much. ;) Another layer of Meranti ply installed on the hull bottom today. Bulwarks molded as well. One more layer over all of it and that will be done. :)

Thanks for the pictures, they reminded me of my trip of a couple years ago that I made to the PNW. I was on Alcyone to the Old Gaffers Race for part of it, what a blast. I loved the PT area, and the Center for Woodenboats. You have pointed out many more places I now want to visit like Devlin's.

In fact, I had so much fun there I talked the family into going on a vacation there in Jun. It is kind of road trip. I will be staying in Seattle, Depot Bay, Victoria, Port Townsend and Greys Harbor. Unfortunately, because we will have only 1 car and the whole family, we will be fairly rushed trying to travel and keep everybody satisfied. Not much time for me to do maritime activities (they're not into things like that). I understand there's some great drift diving up there too. Oh, well, It's pretty hard not to have fun up there anyway.

That whole area is great. My wife and I will be celebrating our 25th anniversary this June and are planning a trip to Victoria to celebrate. As for keeping the family happy, give them money and send them shopping. Then, rent a car for a day and do boat things. Everyone will like that. There is much to see there and enough variety to keep everyone happy.

I've now got three invitations to go sailing there, so I'm definately returning.