My apologies

mrthethird

Very nice work!!! One thing to consider with a cedar deck, is the softness of the woods. It takes little to ding it, dinging down through clear coats. Touch ups can make you a very unhappy camper. Plan accordingly with your finish materials. We need to discuss your finish products?. :wink:

I know you guys and your opinions on paints....

The deck gets 4 oz. glass and epoxy, then a clearcoat of PPG Pitthane.

The hull gets 6 oz glass and 3 coats of epoxy, pigmented pitthane, and a clear coat of pitthane.

Pitthane is a hybrid of polyurethane used to coat aircraft. extremely durable and uv resistant, if not a little difficult to get to lay down smooth. I have used it on my kayaks, and love it.

One issue with bright decks is the non-skid ... is the Pitthane non-skid?

No, it is very smooth and glossy. But the #10 glass bead I put down will be a little no-skiddish.... :wink:

The #10 glass bead is quite large, so it won't non-skid knees as agressively as sand, but still small enough to get the job done. I believe the post I read about how to lay it on was from here, but I don't remember.

There's lots I don't remember anymore.... :roll: :D

Practice on scrap cedar off the deck and hull' date=' and get it right, first, the clearcoat and associated stuff. 8) Just a suggestion[/quote']

I appreciate the concern. You guys are great. Built three deck mock-ups for just that reason.

I have been finishing wood in the cabinet industry for about 10 years now. About 5 years ago, I started looking for a finish for my kayak. I had done a teak gazebo for a customer that really took a bad turn. The spar urethane did not have the holding power I was told it would. Here in Utah, the sun's uv rays seem to taunt all finishes. The spar urethane yellowed and flaked off faster than I would have expected plain lacquer to do the same. Needless to say, my customer wasn't very happy. After several attempts and a huge impact to profitability, we found that automotive-quality clear coats were the way to go for exterior wood finishes. Better yet, catalyzed products.

This will be my first attempt at non-skid. I will post my test pieces...

Thanks again.

Interesting! I used automotive clear coat for my weekender here in Utah as well. I am starting on my 6th year since painting and things look pretty decent still. (Of course, I don't let the sun get much time to shine on Aloha - just when I'm sailing).

I also used the glass bead. I applied it with a salt shaker and clear-coated after to hold it on. It worked ok, but you can see the coverage is not consistent throughout. I do wish I had a less agressive type of non-skid. I don't have any idea what size bead it was. It was some extra that the auto-body guy had around that did my painting. It can draw blood on the knees if I'm not very careful.

I went back to see what it looked like when new, and it doesn't look this fine now, but still quite accetable.

boat0201.jpg

Here is one from this last summer. However, I couldn't find a better one of the deck.

log0345.jpg

Guest Oyster

If I missed something, well here is my favorite skid. It also blends with clearcoats, yes a slight color change but works great. It receives the liquid and wears accordingly. I have used it in enamels and all two part coatings. Just let sit for about 20 minutes, and then stir with caution, and along the way, stir slowly keping the skid suspended during your process. So many of you guys are just too organized and thorough in your projects. I feel humbled many days around this place.

http://shop.sailnet.com/product_info.php/products_id/167

Craig- we've been very happy with ZSpars Flagship 2015 varnish here on the Texas coast. That's all we ever use any more.

Still need a touch up every 4 - 5 months but it's far better than anything else we've tried.

Our toe rails and eyebrows need to be redone now - but they have held up since last May, fairly well anyway. We keep hand rails and drop boards covered as much as possible with fitted sunbrella covers.

The varnished mast is still perfect- I suppose that's because it's vertical rather than horizontal. Should go up and look at the tops of the spreaders though :) Hate to go up masts!!

Phil: Question about the non-skid on Aloha

I see that you put non-skid on the cabin hatch. Is your hatch strong enough to walk on? Mine looks pretty flimsy' date=' so I don't step on it.

Thanks,

Noel.[/quote']

Mine is strong enough. I used 3/8" ply for both hatches and added a cross piece for the main hatch. I wanted it to be sturdy enough to walk on. Actually I'm getting a bit heavy and old. My footing is not that sure on a moving boat. I knew I would eventually have to step on the hatches. In fact I slipped on ice on my deck once and used the boom to stop my fall and broke it. I now think most things should be fairly substantial. Here's a picture of the bottom of the hatch.

boat0113.jpg