New Morningstar pictures!!

smoolie671

Well we just got back from two days of work on the boat. We finaly were able to close in the inside starboard wall with some really nice light weight tongue and groove planking. I found it at Lowes quite by accident. I was going to use something else untill I happend to turn around after being disapointed with what I had thought would be a good material. I looked right at it not registering what I was seeing while mumbling something not acceptable for polite company. Then suddenly the light went on, "Dang, that might work!" Anyway it was easy to work with and took less than one pack to do one side. They came in a pack of six, 8 ft long, and about 4 in. wide for only $8.95. Next we put the belaying pin rack on, correct me if I got the terminology worng. Lastly we were able to get a couple of cannon ports framed in with some nice trim. Tell me what you think!

post-531-129497647053_thumb.jpg

post-531-129497647065_thumb.jpg

post-531-129497647078_thumb.jpg

post-531-129497647083_thumb.jpg

post-531-129497647092_thumb.jpg

It's looking absolutely great.

If I was out on the lake and saw someone launching a boat like that I might have a tendency to get over the horizon afore ye could draw abreast and take me treasure:)

Just make sure the men manning your guns are careful not to take your shrouds down...

Well the cannons that are close to those shouds will be fixed in position so the won't move. They will look like regular cannons from the outside, but inside they will be fairly flush with the wall, with a percussion cap nipple and hammer for firing. I'll just have to lean out to load those. The ones inside the cabin will be on regular wooden carriage. I won't have a full compliment of cannons for a while. Just enough to make a bit of noise. :wink:

Hmmmm, hours........not sure. Maybe 400ish. I really should have been keeping a log. I know it's been all of 2 years and then some since we started. We pretty much only work on it on weekends. I live 20 min. from the shop, so it's not always convenient to go every day. If we could find a shop in Boise for a good price, we would rent it in a heartbeat.

As for the rig, do a picture search on google for the Lady Washington AKA Intercepter from pirates of the caribbean. Thats pretty much the rig that I'm shooting for.

Cannons............I'm still open to the idea of carbide cannons if I could find a good system that will fire every time without alot of headache. I would like to get ahold of some simplified plans on how to build one of those propane cannons that are used for scaring away birds. I've done searches on them but can't seem to find anything on how to construct one. If anyone knows how to build them please let me know!

I did speak with the appropriate officials for my area and they thought it would be just fine. In fact they want to see the launch! All I have to do is let them know what I would be doing, when, and where, so I wouldn't have some lake cop come roaring up and start harrasing me. They also said I could get a permit to fire the cannons on a regular basis if I didn't want to go through all the mess every time I go out. I still have to find out how much it would cost though. I hope not too much.

Well the cannons that are close to those shouds will be fixed in position so the won't move. They will look like regular cannons from the outside' date=' but inside they will be fairly flush with the wall, with a percussion cap nipple and hammer for firing. I'll just have to lean out to load those. The ones inside the cabin will be on regular wooden carriage. I won't have a full compliment of cannons for a while. Just enough to make a bit of noise. :wink:[/quote']

I'm interested in knowing more about your cannon. I'd like to have something that makes a bit of a bang and smoke but is safe.

Well the current ones are made from 3/4 thick wall tube with a threaded breech plug welded in one end. I had them made at a local machine shop. He only charged me 12 bucks per cannon. However his wife/secretary didn't like that he was charging so little, so I doubt I could get such a good deal next time. I simply take the finished tube and fit it with a wood sleeve shaped to look like the outside of a naval cannon, and then paint it black and install. Eventually I would like to get some nice brass cannons, but the right now the budget/wife won't allow $500 per peice. :?

That is totally cool. 8) 8) 8) 8) Don't forget to tell us when you launch. I gotta be there to see that!!! Boise isn't that far from Seattle!! :wink: ....

Yes, Please keep us informed. That's only 350 miles from SLC & I went 300 miles with my boat to see 3 weekenders in Utah.