Trailer Plans

mrthethird

I have been looking around locally for a trailer, and have not had much luck. The few that I have found either are too long, or cannot be modified easily (bunks and such). I know there are plans to build trailers on the web. Has anyone built there own from these plans, and would it be recommended? Price is a big factor. When I started this project, I had figured around $300 to $500 for the trailer.

When I built the Weekender I did, I went to a local power boat dealer who sold aluminum boats. Bought a small tilt trailer from them, had them change the short bunk risers for longer ones and reused the same bunk boards. Then I used the centerline rollers for the keel to ride on. Balanced the boat correctly over the wheels for a good tongue weight, then moved the winch stand to the correct location.

Worked very well. I just looked into my records and that trailer new retailed for 800.

Pic is about the best one I have that shows the trailer. The owner said it towed like a dream.

Oh- and by the way- when we built the trailer for our 21 footer it cost us 400 bucks just for the steel, not counting axle, hubs, wheels, tires, winch stand, bunks, etc. And steel has sky-rocketed since then.

post-36-129497646795_thumb.jpg

I have two friends that have built trailers from Glen-L plans. One just a year ago and the other about 3 years ago. Both spent nearly as much as a new one would cost by the time they were finished. A used 14' E-Z Loader bass boat trailer, (Non Galvanized) typically goes for about $400 used 3-5 years old. If they havn't been in Salt a lot they usually are in pretty good condition. You may have to dispose of an old boat that will come along with it to get it but that is often not too bad a deal.

I watched the want adds in Denver for quite a while before I found a used Shorelander trailer. I bought it for $375 and put my 10 ft dinghy on a trailer suitable for a 16' runabout.

Then I built my CS 20 and put it on the 1000 Lb rated Shorelander. Worked good.

We were planning a 3,000 mile road trip and I did not like the idea of spinning 12" wheels 3,000 miles at highway speeds. I watched the want adds. Bid on ebay. I was about to buy a new trailer when I decided to call every dealer in Denver. Sterling Marine had three old trailers that would work. I bought a 1987 galvanized trailer for $200 and had to do very little modifications to accomodate my CS 20. Two shims in the bunks and I moved the winch. The trailer had a Bayliner 18 on it. The trailer has 14" wheels. Not so much spinning at 75 mph. The same bolt pattern as the 12" wheels on the little trailer.

The downside is the bigger trailer weighs about 300 lbs more than the little trailer. I have a 600 lb boat of a trailer rated around 2500 lb capacity.

The moral to the story is, if you haven't already, call around to the dealers in your area. They may have some trade ins with old junky boats that have good trailers.

Good luck!