Adla ain'ta gona get ahead of me launching a new one

Guest Oyster

Stability is not an issue with all of those ballast stones. :lol: Thats wild, but not mine. I have been surfing a bit with being a bit under the weather, both inside and outside, and found it, and thought it fitting to break the winter blues for some housebound folks.

Here's a little something my Grandpa worked on in the 50's...

It works really well in surf but it may ba a little big for the creek in your picture :)

It's got really good pumps aboard so it might float a little longer than the volkswagen (the tunnel-mounted prop helps it along once the wheels no longer touch bottom too).

post-402-129497646416_thumb.gif

Ah. That's cool. Brings back a story.

I don't have a picture, but when I was in design school at NC State, we used to have an annual junkboat race down the Neuse River near Raleigh. Our (my class's) high point was an old VW that we sealed up and dropped an old Wisconsin engine -- lawn tractor or some such -- in the back. Straight shaft out the back to a propellor and a belt drive take-off to a solid rear axle mounted on big old oak pillow bearings for the rear wheels. The axle tended to freeze up, but it worked -- sorta. The prop worked fine. The roof was cut away, leaving the window profile intact, all seats were removed, and the front wheel steering was retained. We got into the river, made the 10 mile course, and got out under our own power with probably six people on board. Elegant as all get out. It was a hoot.

DocA

When I worked as the diving officer at the Civil Engineering Lab in Port Hueneme, CA I got my Larc driver's license. We used it for quick dives in the local area off Pt. Mugu and Port Hueneme. Great deal to load up at the diving locker, drive to the beach, roll into the water, motor to the dive site, throw the anchor out, and go diving. Reversed the procedure to go home. Driving the thing was a real HOOT! There are times I wish I still had access to one of those around here.

Steve

Steve,

You're only the second person I've heard from who actually had a LARC driver's license.

My Grandpa had the very first LARC driver's license. I think it came about because of a difference of opinion with a police officer when Grandpa was on his way from the armory to the Mississippi and a subsequent visit to the mayor. :lol:

Look guys, you folks are nuttin special. I have two licenses also. I have a drivers license and a marriage licenses, :lol::lol::lol: The marriage license also give me the added privilage to be driven nuts, a very special privilage licenses that a lot of folks are not blessed with, and also allowed me to drive along the beach and ponder just how far off the deep end I have gone. So I actually have three licenses. :lol:

I've got a driver's license and a fishing license and a hunting license but I can't seem to get a marriage license because I've had too many wrecks :lol:

I never did get the LARC driver's license because the last time I was on a LARC I was barely past diapers... (By the way, Steve, I might know where you can buy a LARC on the east coast).

How are things with your visit to the frozen North, Mr Oyster? Me, I've been hunting in snow this weekend down in sunny North Carolina...

How are things with your visit to the frozen North, Mr Oyster? Me, I've been hunting in snow this weekend down in sunny North Carolina...

I look dumb, and act dumb, but sometimes I ain't that dumb. I put off my trip to Michigan when the white stuff and the call of Code Blue came to light. I did not want to be invloved in one of those 50 car pileups in momma's truck, either. Talk about a wreck and loss of license :wink:

Greg,

I was at Port Hueneme from June 1971 through July of 1972. BTW, that's when I exercised my license to get married, so I have one of those licenses like Oyster's. I was the Diving Officer for the Civil Engineering Lab during that time.

Ken,

Where would you find a LARC on the east coast? The last one I saw was on display at Fort Story on Cape Henry in Virginia this past fall.

It would make a cool "toy" for ramming around Mobile Bay. Probably too noisy for a sailboater like me.

Steve

Steve,

A couple of years ago I saw one at a boatyard in Newton NC. I was driving by at 55mph and almost suffered whiplash when I realized what it was.

I turned around and went back to the boatyard. I asked the guy at the desk Where he got the LARC and he didn't understand. After describing the vehicle to him he finally said "Oh, you mean that duck! Somebody traded it for a boat." :lol:

He had just gotten it in the last day or two and didn't really know what he planned to do with it. It was all I could do not to ask him what he'd take for it.

My grandpa would've gotten a real kick out of it but in reality the single digit mileage and the 10 foot width (not street legal) were enough to keep me sane. The thing was pretty much stock and complete and had been used on Lake Hickory I believe. Somebody had painted a shark's mouth on the bow.

I could probably track the thing down if I wanted to.

Dr. Willard Bascombe, in his book "Wind , Water, and Waves" (?) calls these vehicles ducks also. I read the book about twenty five years ago so I do not remember what that acronym was for. Interesting reading for anyone living on the coast.

These are still in use here in northeastern North Carolina, but I haven't seen any with For Sale signs on them.

I have a 1969 VW bug that can go some of the places that these can go but is a lot easier to park.

Have fun,

Tom

DUKW is an acronym based on D indicating the model year, 1942; U referring to the body style, utility (amphibious); K for all-wheel drive; and W for dual rear axles. (I just looked it up)

LARC is Lighter, Amphibious, Resupply, Cargo. (from memory)

Here's a photo of a Duck for comparison...

I imagine the VW is way easier to find parts for also :)

post-402-129497647103_thumb.jpg