Hull on strong back made of left over 18ft I joist

42web2-med.jpg

Hull up right

42web4-med.jpg

Center board trunk

42web6-med.jpg

Center board

42web7-med.jpg

This is a Kingston 15 that I have started this winter.

Greg that makes 8 at my place :D , but the Oxford Dinghy goes to a buyer in Maine in the spring and the Vacationer may go to a buyer in Texas in March. There are more pictures in my gallery of the kingston progress.

I poured the center board lead today 41 sq" per the Duck Works article by Jim M. It certainly feels plenty heavy.

Thanks,

Jim

Nifty design! I find pocket cruisers intriguing, though I still like a big cockpit. It looks like you're making great progress. Any idea when she'll be wet? And where exactly is that centerboard trunk anyway? Built into the side of the cockpit? side of the V-berth? And is this boat for you, or for someone else?

Hey Jeff

Thanks for your interest. The boat is for me. I built the Vacationer for my wife two daughters and myself... well you know what they say about building a boat for those around you...don't. Build for you so that is what I am doing this time around. The Vacationer is a great charecter boat but I want somthing quicker to rig and something a little more compact for single handed launch and retreive. I 'm also close to Lake Erie and wanted a boat that was a little more rough water friendly (lots of floation, ballasted and a centerboard, small self bailing cockpit and smaller tighter hatches)

In the design the board is a dagger board in a trunk in the cabin. I do a lot of shallow water sailing and would prefer somthing kick up and accessable from the cockpit. I kept the board proportions the same but extended the trunk under the cockpit. The trunk is off center and is in line with the bunk and cockpit seat fronts (per the original design). The uphaul/pendant line will come up through the bridge deck making control much easier.

Here is the site where I purchased the plans they have some nice cad renderings and more info on the design if you are interested.

http://www.digitalmarketingusa.com/k15.html

Jim

Just out of curiosity' date=' have there actually been any of them finished and had some time on the lakes?[/quote']

To whom are you talking? If it is me, all of my boats have been splashed, but not necessarily on the big lake. I do not count the ones I am building.

The Laguna 24 has been on the hard for 2-1/2 years for a major refit and should be in the big lake again this year, the Amphora "Dragon" has been in use for two years, the canoe gets used off and on all year long for several years now, the Nymph and the PK78 both get used each season, the old Skipjack finally gave up as a "floating" boat and now sits in the edge of the creek for the boys to play on, and the Oday 10 I just bought was used last summer by my friend that I bought it from and will be used a lot this coming season by myself and family.

Does that answer your question Barry? :? :roll:

Greg... Thanks, I like my shop also 26*36 garage that I built about 10 years ago and it has never had a car in it. It cost me window scrapping and car warm up duty all winter for the Mrs's car but it is worth it.

Phil..The cad drawing was borrowed from the designers web site, It won't blow up for me either. Follow the link above to the sellers site, he has a bunch of nice cad renderings and some of his own construction photos.

Barry...I was told one was built by the original designer sailed for a year or two and then sold to someone in FL. I have no first or even second hand info on the finished boat or how it preformed. The seller of the plans has started one but has stalled construction for now.

Jim

Thanks Greg, but I was asking of Jim about his new project.

Interesting design with some good space utilization. Just wondering about its actual handling qualities if anyone had any real experience in it as yet.

There are a couple that look similar to it up here in the Sound that looked as if they were having some issues with moderate wind, waves and tidal currents.

So, I would just be interested in seeing how it actually works out for Jim and trying it out on Lake Erie and how it actually handles solo.

Jim, I am jealous of all of the building progress you have made on the Kingston 15. She is looking great! My next big boat still awaits selling our house in Ohio. I still intend to build Welsford's Sweet Pea though plenty of other designs are clamoring for my attention.

Any idea on the date for CABBS week? I would like to make it back up to Ohio sometime this summer.

There are some interesting projects and progress being made and circulated around the two sections that formulate this board, now, all be it fitting the individuals tastes and needs, including at all times a friendly atmosphere. Cheers and continued progress to one and all. Nice to see you stop by here, Scott. Will you be making it to Craigs gathering the first of April?

Jeff.. I left the centerboard in the original dagger board location. I will have to experiment with it after I am on the water to see how much effect not fully deploying the board into the down position will have on the balance of the boat. I assume that a partially down board will move the center of resistance aft a bit, but I looked at the set up like a high aspect board that will be full down most of the time. I built the trunk like a brick outhouse.

Scott... Sorry to hear about that house of yours, I might have to buy it for my summer get away place. CABBS week usually starts the weekend of fathers day and runs through that following weekend. (About June 18th somewhere) I don't think the board has started setting dates just yet. You are always welcome at my place anytime and you know you don't have to twist my arm to drag a boat out of the yard to hit the lake.

Craig...As always it is great to hear from you, even though we don't trade Vacationer ideas any more I do watch the boards to see what you are up to.

Jim

SSDD Jim. I suppose I'll be finished with her when she's a full rigged Brig, or I finally get enough cloth on her to push her over. Trawlers are beginning to look good to me though and Saralee will not shut up about air conditioning... Lets see now, a sprit pulput wide enough for the case and a duct to the fore hatch. Woops, where the genset to go???????

Thanks Greg' date=' but I was asking of Jim about his new project.

Interesting design with some good space utilization. Just wondering about its actual handling qualities if anyone had any real experience in it as yet.

There are a couple that look similar to it up here in the Sound that looked as if they were having some issues with moderate wind, waves and tidal currents.

So, I would just be interested in seeing how it actually works out for Jim and trying it out on Lake Erie and how it actually handles solo.[/quote']

Barry,

:) I kept rereading the thread and could not figure out which thing you were asking about, which puzzled me. I decided to reply on the off chance you were thinking about my boat yard. I should have know better. :oops: Sorry.

Scott- the Duckworks Messabout this coming May is scheduled to be on Magnolia Beach, right outside our front door so to speak :) Actually on the beach about 5 blocks from the house, but within our view across the marshes from the front deck.

An even longer drive than Galveston, sorry to say. We're hoping to make that, and then sail for BEER, so maybe we'll see you at one or 'tother. :lol: