Another new build

capt jake

.and BIG..... Please tell us more about it.

I started to post this on Gregg's thread, but I didn't want to hijack it totally. :)

It's just a little dingy we are building. ;) I want to see who can guess what and wehre she is before I divuldge too much. :);)

Viewing can be arranged, she's being built in Olympia. (hint). ;)

Been talking with Capt. Jake about cruising the South Sound area. He and his bride wanted something a little larger than His Weekender "Fire Escape" to go out for donuts on Sunday mornings. Like a quick run to Gig Harbor from Olympia for breakfast. Something to keep them out of the weather when it is a little gray and damp. Comfy overnighting for a weekend outing. You know hot tub on the aft deck, hot Jacuzzi whirlpool tub for two in the master cabin type of thing. Fireplace in the grand salon. :lol:

Only about 360 days a year when that would be desirable here in the Pacific Northwest. Or so it seems lately anyway. :roll:

Only about 360 days a year when that would be desirable here in the Pacific Northwest

I hear that. Although this week it has been pretty hard to focus on work. I really really need to get the bottom side of the boat wet for a change.

Hey Capt. Jake, you wouldn't be planning on going after any salmon in that boat, would you? Will it be done in time for Sockeye season?

Noel

OK, OK, several of you have it pretty well nailed.

It's a Devlin Sockeye 45! The biggest boat in his fleet. I am working there part time and having a blast. I think Joel took some more pictures today, when I receive them ,I will post those also.

We got all of the longitudinals in place and the bottom panel layed in place (not secured yet). The main panel is 1/2" then there will be 4 more 1/4" layers cold molded to that. Total of 1 1/2" thick on the bottom, 1 1/4" on the topsides.

It will have a 135hp John Deere turbo charged diesel.

That was a good call Noel!

I have to admit I cheated. I took the "Olympia" hint and started looking for boat designs that might fit. I figured by the size of the shop it was probably a professional shop. I looked at the "boats in progress" page on the Devlin website and although all of the boats on that page have been finished (so it isn't one of them) I saw that there was a mismatched window (green) at one end of the shop. Sure enough, the first picture posted in this thread includes the green window :)

I doubt I would have picked out the Sockeye 45 because I neglected to look at the filenames of Capt Jake's photos until just now...

See what watching too much Scooby Doo can do to a person? :)

That sure looks like a LONG tape joint. By the time you from one end to the other I bet the beginning will be cured enough to add a second layer.

Ken, that is one thing I am also curious about. We usually have 3-4 people involved in most of the layups. So I don't think tha will be a problem. The inside of these long joint will be tabbed and the wires removed. then a layup of biax over all of the joints. Then cold mold a layer of 1/4" with another layup of biax. Total of 4 layers of 1/4" with tape! :shock:

I didn't get any pictures the other day. We laminated the chine logs and did a few other small jobs. Chine logs were two layers of 7/8"x4" clear DF, about 30'. It was a short day. They got another set of panels installed prior to that.

I wanted to add a comment about a new tool I got to use. I have used lots of levels but never a 'smart level'. It has a digital readout and is highly accurate; to within 1/100th. If we were shooting for 90 degrees; 89.98 was as far out as we were allowed to go! In almost every instance we had it at 90 or 89.99!! Pretty cool tool! It should be at about $150 (48").