Smaller mainsail and rowing

buck

As you can see on Wayne's video, I have oars on my weekender. I used to have an electric outboard, but I've found the oars easier and more conveinient. The Weekender is somewhat heavy to row (compared to the Amphora.) But it is effective. I was able to row for several miles at a time when the wind dropped at a couple of knots. its an easy solution, you won't win a sculling race and great exercise and easy on the environment.

As for the sail, you can see my main is really cut down, We get a lot of 20 knot winds, You can see my weekender (the blue one) bounding along in 2' seas and 15 knots. I found the perfect foil for 20knots and more, to spill wind on the main and let the jib do all the pulling, she simply races along The mainsail half flapping. But the polytarp copes and its good fun.

I singlehand nearly all the time and the regular mainsail is really too big. Waynes boat (being lighter and smoother) sails rings around me below 10 knots but when hes reefed in heavy weather the boats are much the same. I always jibe in 15knots plus, its really hard to get about with the windage on the sides.

A trick is to grab the boom as it goes over and hold it till you're ready to let it go (when its facing into the wind)

We had a great time sailing these excellent wee boats often in 2'-3' seas, they are dry wonderful boats and in competent hands very safe.

Buck,

great video, and just the incentive I need to get the boat ready for the coming season. Although the weather here is soo good here at the moment, I could have put "Three sheets to the wind" in the water last Saturday. We went kayaking instead :D

Anyway,

to my question. I see from the video that you have a tiller extending out of the lazerette. I am going to replace the wheel this year with a tiller (easy choice, since the existing blocks ripped out of the wheel mechanism last year :roll: ).

I was going to extend the rudder over the transom and fit a tiller above the deck. This will also mean changing the central block to a "horse" arrangement.

I saw your set-up and though it would be easier to arrange. It will also mean that I have no problem mounting the motor, which will swing up over the deck when not in use , the same as Wayne's in the video.

How do you find it? Is the tiller too low, or just right? Does it interfere with tacking when you cross over, especially with two in the cockpit?

Hi Fintan,

I don't have too much problem in the cockpit, Tillers are always cumbersome, but any problems are offset by being able to get well forward and still steer (With my crusing top on I was able to sit in the cabin when it rained!) The real problem with it coming through the lazerette was getting enough turn in the rudder, 45 degrees being optimum (beyond that the rudder is braking the boat). Once I got that its fine.

All systems have pros and cons, I like the directness of the tiller within the cockpit, If I was doing it again I'd do it the same, but perhaps with a tiller extension.

Buck

Thanks Buck,

I will probably go this route, provided I can get the 45degrees. I have two inspection hatches on the lazarette above the seats, so this will have to be figured out.

Still should be easier than extending the rudder over the deck.

And as we've all found out when building the boats, if we don't like it, we can always change it. :P

Thanks Buck,

I will probably go this route, provided I can get the 45degrees. I have two inspection hatches on the lazarette above the seats, so this will have to be figured out.

Still should be easier than extending the rudder over the deck.

And as we've all found out when building the boats, if we don't like it, we can always change it. :P

I don't know I'll have to measure them, But they're not small, at least 6' I sit on the storage compartment. Its slightly awkward you have to keep your elbows raised to stop hitting the cabin bulkhead sides, but its fine once you get used to it. I 'll get the measuresments for the oarlocks etc. and post them.