West Aussie Pocket Cruiser?

Wild Dingo

Im rackin my brain here!! A fair while back there was a bloke named Chris I believe who was building a pocket cruiser in his shed in Belmont West Aussie he had gotten it to 3D and was a student at one of the Unis here I had a few yarns with him and have somehow lost track of him!!

It would be a hoot to get a meet happenin as he should by now be finished with his PC while Im starting out with my Weekender... I also have a few peices of Jarrah (can offer some other timbers too if he needs them) to offer his build if he wants them (alterior motive? yep! Want a sail I do!! 8) )

Anyway Chris was the only bloke I knew of that was building a Stevensons desgin here in West Aussie and would like to re-establish contact if anyone knows if hes still around please drop a note here!

Cheers

Oh note on my build... Its been held up by increasing workload in the pursuit of $$ for the much needed renos on the house however now the sheds going up this weekend if the weather holds and the tools will be able to be used with confidence and safety... and Im getting a tad buggared with 2 jobs going full blast although this hopefully will change shortly... whats done? Wheel is sorta finished although Im considering making another as the Kapur just doesnt look right with the Jarrah so will consider making another using Banksia or Sheoak and Jarrah instead... the keel is laid (Malaysian Sepiature) I sorta varied a tad from the plans here and its 3in thick as the timber was 1 1/4in unfinished and when finished ended up 1in so a nice hefty keel is now in place... Ive also done the bottom ply and need to connect them together and get movin on making the bulkheads and deck to get re-inspired :wink: oh and Ive also done the deadeyes from Jarrah... no pics sorry Ive just been too bloody busy of late but when things quieten down I will sort it and get some done

Shes been named... "Spinifex Lady"... mmmm maybe I shouldnt have pre-empted that naming? I dont care!! I love it and dont care who knows her name she knows it I call to her every arvo between jobs so why not everyone else? mmm??

I think you are thinking of Simon Collings. He was a college student somewhere west. He once had a website http://www.maths.uwa.edu.au/~scolling/boat/ but it hasn't worked for a year or so, and it wasn't updated for a fair while. I haven't seen a post from him in years.

There is Chris Treloar and TITSAWORRI is his old boat. He used to post occassionally, but haven't heard much since he started to rebuild. You would know better than I, but I think he was on the east coast some where south.

Me Jake? Not yet mate not ready to embarrass meself just yet ol son!! :wink:

No Ive been tied up pretty tight of late with double jobs new grandhoon buildin the new shed etc etc all excuses I know but well Im embarressed to say even havin cut and glued the Sepiature keel and stem peices together and marked and cut the ply for the bum along with the wheel... I sorta want to wait till I can not only surprise you blokes but also so I can shock myself!!

We have started to attempt to wind me down a bit as Jo is gettin a tad worried about my health again as am I... so Ive got to wind it back and take things a bit easier... The coming week will hopefully see some changes happening work wise which will mean I will be working away for 8 days and back home for R&R for 6 days without too much of a drop in pay... the shed is pretty much finished now and all thats left to do tomorrow is install the roller doors and move the tools in... but mostly the woodworking has been in hibernation... the eldest Yazmynn and her partner move into their new home next weekend then I expect to be gone for a stint so I reckon it will be another 3 or so weeks before I can get into it seriously again

The camera still works Im just staying away from it!!! :P

Thanks for the info your right it was Simon... wonder what hes up to now? ah well hope hes enjoyin it whatever hes up to!

• 2 years later...

G,day Andrew Sawdust,I had a look at your profile,says you are in Canberra,thats a lot closer to me thanĀ  Greg Spies, who is in Grafton.That means the only weekender builder in aus that I know on the east coast that would be with in a reachableĀ  distance of my good self is you.When my boat is finished ,which should not be to much longer,I am keen to get some kind of club together,what do reckon, regards Johno

Hi Greg ,I had a pleasant suprise yesterday.I happened to be reading the latest copy of AABB when lo and behold there's an article on the constuction ofa Mill Creek 13 kayak by none other than a bloke named Greg Spies,who lives in Grafton ,using my awsome powers of deduction I concluded it can be none other than the soon to be owner of a weekender,well I was gobsmacked ,here I am talking to a published boat-builder,thats a first for me.I was wondering if you got your keel timber yet.Thats the firstĀ  thing I made a mistake on.I found the plan a bit misleading,I needed to leave more length on the centre lamination to allow for the stern block,it seems that what you loft on the plan goes up to the stern block but does'nt include it.Anyway after sorting that out the keel ended up1 inch longer than it should be,which inturn changes the dimensions for the bottom panel and the deck panel and side panels.The other thing that I struggled with was bending and screwing in the front cabin panel,I busted 3 before I finally got 1 in.I made sort of a spainish windlass with a bit of rope around the panel that held the curve while screwing it in,that worked.The broken ones ended up as porthole rings so nothing was wasted.Finally got the seats in and will now fit steering gear.

• 1 year later...

Hi Mitchell.

My goodness how time gets away. I didn't realize i hadn't been on line since 2008?!!!

Thanks for the pointers. The keel timber was starting to look very expensive, and i decided to put the Weekender on the back burner for a while. Then i got caught up with organising a wooden boat festival for Grafton Jacaranda festival (on again this year -2010 -first weekend in November) at which I had my set of forward facing oars set up on a couple of work horses. People wanted to see them on a boat, so i decided to build a Jimmy Skiff for the oars and this years festival.

The Weekender still is a project to do, and as each project gets a little larger, it should be soon.

How is your project going?

Gregg